About Me

Name:
Sue

Location:
Southern New Jersey

I am a Mom to 2 amazing and fun daughters and wife to a great guy and a wonderful father!

My Complete Profile

Email Me


Kayla
Kayla, my oldest. She is 4 1/2 and is a sweet, loving and silly little girl. She took us 2 ½ years and 3 IVF’s to conceive. Kayla is allergic to dairy. We manage her allergy and work to balance her safety with giving her a normal childhood. Kayla loves to read books and play games - she amazes me every day.


Alysa
Alysa, my youngest. She is 3 years old and is a silly little spitfire. She’s our monkey and loves to climb on everything. She was a “natural” baby, but it was only b/c of my wonderful doctors that we were able to stop an impending miscarriage. Alysa suffers from Acid Reflux Disease and sleep apnea. She may be little, but she has a big personality. She adores her big sister and is so much fun to be around. She keeps me laughing every day.


Photobucket
Our Daily Reads
Photobucket
On My Nightstand
Photobucket Photobucket
Photos
Mothers Day 2009

Monday, July 16, 2007
Mommy Talk #14

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



This Week's Question is:
What sacrifices have you made as a SAHM or a Working Mom?

I'll start by saying that my dream and ultimate wish is to be a SAHM! Unfortunately that was not an option for us, as much as both of us wanted it. Before I even got pregnant, I told J that I refused to work full time. I did not want to be away from my kids full time. I wanted to be there for all their firsts. Needless to say he freaked a bit as I what you would call the "bread winner". After Kayla, I searched high and low for a part time job at my level - Senior Financial Analyst with a Master's Degree. Part time in corporate is hard to come by. I initially took a job at my old company that was a step down in both position and pay (and I mean more than relatively speaking). I really didn't care about the position - my kids come before my career. But they also stripped me of my vacation, sick and holiday pay. Basically, they ignored my 5 years of service. I was lucky enough to find a job working for my next door neighbor at my level making my old salary (relatively speaking with regards to my shorter hours). I currently work 20 hours per week which is broken into 2 full days and 1 day of 3 hours. The one saving grace with J being in retail management is he can have off during the week. So he is with the girls my two full days. The are with a wonderful babysitter in her home for 2.5 hours a week. We so lucked out with her.

The girls being home with us and not in daycare was very important to both of us. We have made the obvious financial sacrifices, as we rarely go out to eat and rarely get take-out, etc. We cut on expenses when we can and watch what we spend. The biggest sacrifice we made was family time. Family time is extremely important to us, but the girls being with us did come first. They get plenty of time with me and even more time with J than the average child (I mean alone time). This has been great as it's given him great perspective on what it is to take care of kids full time. But our time with the 4 of us is few and far between. J usually makes it home in time to put them to bed and we get a few nights a week where we get about 2 hours together - the 4 of us. But we only get 1 night a week when we can really have a good meal together and any days together have to be managed with vacation days. But...we work it out. I have seen almost all their firsts and J has even seen some. It's how we wanted it. I'm hopeful one day in the not-too-distant future we can have regular family days, but until then we are making it work.

Although, I'd much rather not work at all, I am extremely lucky with my employer/boss and know that if you "have" to work, I have the best of both worlds. And all the sacrifices we have made have been so worth it as we both have amazing bonds with our girls.

Hop on over to Mommy Talk to see other responses.


posted at 8:44 AM  
  6 comments



6 Comments:
At 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having to work when all you want to do is be home is hard. But I'm glad to hear that you have an employer who understands and you've been able to find part-time work.

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

it is so hard to find that right balance sometimes isn't it? Sounds like you guys have figured out a good solution that works everybody - except the amt of time when the 4 of you can be together all at once!

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

These decisions are never easy, but it sounds like you have found the best of both worlds. I haven't gotten to my "Mommy Talk" yet, but I wanted to let you know that I gave you an award :)

 
At 2:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, it sounds like you guys have made a great go of it! I'm sure envious of the daycare part. The woman who watches my son is simply wonderful but still, I wish I could stay at home.

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Tracy Rambles On And On said...

It's good to hear that you made the sacrifice of not making as much money as you did to put your kids first. I admire you for that. I also think it's great that your kids get one on one time with their daddy. I'm sure that means the world to them!

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger Jennisa - Avery and Livvie's Mommy! said...

It's so great that your husband can be with the girls so much! It is so important, especially for girls, to have that time with their daddy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Search


Photobucket
Make your custom magnet at SupportOurRibbons.com
Photobucket
Blogs I Visit
Allergy Moms Blog
Are We There Yet
Big Blueberry Eyes
Check My Tag
Food Allergy FAQ
Fruit In Season (my Sister's blog)
Go Dairy Free
I'm a Drama Mama
Irish Triplets
My Daughters' Site
No Whey Mama
Our Story
Parenting a Child with Food Allergies
Parenting Solved
Pink Explosion
Principled Perspectives (my Father's blog)
Tuesday's Child
Typette

Blogs I've Designed
Fruit In Season
Principled Perspectives

Digi Scrap Blogs
Digi Treats by Pamela
Lindsay Jane Designs
Peppermint Creative
Sworda Scrappin
Tracy's Scraps

Photobucket

Blogrolls
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Family Friendly Blogroll []

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sat Phot Hunt Blogroll []

Recent Posts
Saturday Scraps #5
Unpacking to Pack Again
Wordless Wednesday
Mommy Talk #13
We're Off...Again!
Randome Post & 2 Memes
Semi-Wordless Wednesday
Mommy Talk #12
Back to Life
Saturday Scraps #4

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009

I'm Proud Of
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket

Miscellaneous
Mom Blogs The WeatherPixie
Subscribe with Bloglines

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: