About Me

Name:
Sue

Location:
Southern New Jersey

I am a Mom to 2 amazing and fun daughters and wife to a great guy and a wonderful father!

My Complete Profile

Email Me


Kayla
Kayla, my oldest. She is 4 1/2 and is a sweet, loving and silly little girl. She took us 2 ½ years and 3 IVF’s to conceive. Kayla is allergic to dairy. We manage her allergy and work to balance her safety with giving her a normal childhood. Kayla loves to read books and play games - she amazes me every day.


Alysa
Alysa, my youngest. She is 3 years old and is a silly little spitfire. She’s our monkey and loves to climb on everything. She was a “natural” baby, but it was only b/c of my wonderful doctors that we were able to stop an impending miscarriage. Alysa suffers from Acid Reflux Disease and sleep apnea. She may be little, but she has a big personality. She adores her big sister and is so much fun to be around. She keeps me laughing every day.


Photobucket
Our Daily Reads
Photobucket
On My Nightstand
Photobucket Photobucket
Photos
Mothers Day 2009

Wednesday, November 01, 2006
Inside the Mind of a 2 Year Old
Ok – so we have the perfect Halloween last night. It was in the 60’s and overall clear skies. There were clouds, but they were the thin, wispy ones. You know - the ones that add that eerie cover over the moon that is perfect for Halloween night. Kayla’s desire for candy was stronger than her fear of the people giving it out. In the end she even was walking up to the houses with her Dad and Gramps, rather than needing me to carry her. She went to bed a little later than normal, but fell right to sleep (which is unusual for her).

But that’s where the nice night ended. She ended up with 2 nightmares last night. About 15 minutes after falling asleep she woke up hysterical and it even took a few minutes of hugs to calm her down. Then again, at 11pm, she woke up calling for me. No tears this time, but she was definitely upset. Luckily the rest of the night was peaceful. But I know most of what made her so scared, was all the noisy and scary decorations that she encountered.

Now, Kayla has had a fear of anything life-size and “character-like” for a while. Over the summer, she would not go on the carousel b/c she was afraid of the life-size horses. For a while, we could not put on the Nursery Rhymes episode of Dora. She would be fine up until she saw Humpty Dumpty – he terrified her. She’d scream and cry and cling to me. And of course, she’s afraid of Santa and the Easter Bunny. Well, after giving her breaks and sitting with her through that Dora episode, I had finally gotten her to watch it and think HD was silly.

Well, Halloween ruined that. Kayla waits for Dora each morning. She knows that when Alysa goes for her 1st nap, Dora comes on. So when we take Alysa upstairs, Kayla will be sitting on the couch patiently waiting when we come back down. This morning, the HD episode was on. As soon as she saw Mary’s Little Lamb, she freaked and cried and clung to Jerome. Jerome tried to sooth her, but all she said was “Dora off”. He offered to put on a different episode. Her response? “All done Dora. Watch Diego?” So there you have it. She’s scarred for life. LOL

And to add to this whole new ground of fear – this morning, she woke up dry – which is not that unusual. Well, then she decided she wanted a cookie, so she actually agreed to sit on the potty…and…she pee’d. But…as soon as she started to pee, she got scared, stopped and cried on my shoulder. Huh? Where did that come from? I was not given my chance to do the “Happy PeePee Dance”. I could barely get her to let me clean her up through her tears and her mad dash to escape the bathroom. Then she was scared of the bath faucet when I turned it on to clean the potty. Do you think this will set back potty training even more? She did get her cookie though and I’m hopeful that as the memories of Halloween fade a bit, she’ll be more into the potty with cookies and stickers as her rewards.

I know this fear development is normal for her age. But it’s sad and pathetic. I feel so bad for her. It’s no fun to be scared. But it’s almost amusing as an adult to see the bizarre things they get terrified over. Does that make me a terrible Mommy?

Any suggestions out there to help make this transition a short one?


posted at 8:07 PM  
  1 comments



1 Comments:
At 8:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If inwardly chuckling while comforting her makes you a terrible mommy - than I'm a terrible "nanny". She was adorable while trick-or-treating. So was Alysious.

Mom :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Search


Photobucket
Make your custom magnet at SupportOurRibbons.com
Photobucket
Blogs I Visit
Allergy Moms Blog
Are We There Yet
Big Blueberry Eyes
Check My Tag
Food Allergy FAQ
Fruit In Season (my Sister's blog)
Go Dairy Free
I'm a Drama Mama
Irish Triplets
My Daughters' Site
No Whey Mama
Our Story
Parenting a Child with Food Allergies
Parenting Solved
Pink Explosion
Principled Perspectives (my Father's blog)
Tuesday's Child
Typette

Blogs I've Designed
Fruit In Season
Principled Perspectives

Digi Scrap Blogs
Digi Treats by Pamela
Lindsay Jane Designs
Peppermint Creative
Sworda Scrappin
Tracy's Scraps

Photobucket

Blogrolls
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Family Friendly Blogroll []

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sat Phot Hunt Blogroll []

Recent Posts
Trick-or-Treat
Big Milestones!
Happy Birthday!
Catch-Up
Saturday Photo Hunt
Friday's Feast
Update on the Sicklings
My 1st Thursday Thirteen
Are We Crazy or Normal?
Still Sick

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009

I'm Proud Of
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket

Miscellaneous
Mom Blogs The WeatherPixie
Subscribe with Bloglines

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: