About Me

Name:
Sue

Location:
Southern New Jersey

I am a Mom to 2 amazing and fun daughters and wife to a great guy and a wonderful father!

My Complete Profile

Email Me


Kayla
Kayla, my oldest. She is 4 1/2 and is a sweet, loving and silly little girl. She took us 2 ½ years and 3 IVF’s to conceive. Kayla is allergic to dairy. We manage her allergy and work to balance her safety with giving her a normal childhood. Kayla loves to read books and play games - she amazes me every day.


Alysa
Alysa, my youngest. She is 3 years old and is a silly little spitfire. She’s our monkey and loves to climb on everything. She was a “natural” baby, but it was only b/c of my wonderful doctors that we were able to stop an impending miscarriage. Alysa suffers from Acid Reflux Disease and sleep apnea. She may be little, but she has a big personality. She adores her big sister and is so much fun to be around. She keeps me laughing every day.


Photobucket
Our Daily Reads
Photobucket
On My Nightstand
Photobucket Photobucket
Photos
Mothers Day 2009

Wednesday, October 25, 2006
Are We Crazy or Normal?
<> My sister spoke today on her blog about how her and her hubby took a 16 day cruise when my nephew, Colin was just over 1 year old. They dropped Colin off in NJ (they live in Ohio) and both my mother and I split this time with Colin. I took a week off from work (and so did my newlywed hubby, Jerome). My Mom took the rest of the time.

Ironically, this subject came up recently with some coworkers of mine. A friend of mine at work had been asked by her future SIL if she could watch their new baby while her and my friend's brother went on their honeymoon. Now, my gf works full time and has 2 kids of her own, so she is not able to use a whole week of her vacation time to do this for her future-SIL. But the surprising thing was that another woman (a grandmother) was saying how crazy it would be to even ask. Yes, I agree it IS a lot to ask of someone. And I can't even say that my sister asked me to watch Colin (not that I would have cared). She asked my parents and I jumped at the chance for this time with him. Well, I told both of these women that I have done it and would do it again. The one woman looked at me like I had 2 heads and like it was the craziest thing in the world to do. And she even stated that she would never even do this for her Grandchildren. I find that sad.

Now granted, I was newly married with no kids - so I was virtually unattached. And things are different now, as my vacation time from my part time job is scarce and it wouldn't be as easy to take off a full week from work. But…that doesn't mean I would not or that I would not do my darndest to give as much time as I could to my now 3 niece and nephews.

But that conversation left me wondering. Is my family the Norm or the Exception? I do know of other Grandmothers who are just as devoted to their Grandchildren as my Parents are (quite a few actually). But I have also seen plenty that are much less enthusiastic. I find it sad. I am glad that my girls will grow up knowing they have a 2nd home at both my parents' house AND at my Sister's.

I will say that week I had with Colin was so much fun. It was utterly exhausting and it drained me beyond belief. It gave me my first taste of motherhood (especially since he spent one day with a high fever and would do nothing but lay on me). But when he left at the end of the week to spend his last few days at my Mom and Dad's, I cried to see him go. I knew then that I was most definitely ready to have one of my own.

And in May of 2004, while I was 7 months pregnant, I again took off to watch Colin and Maddy. I think it is great to have that time with them. And again, Jerome took off some of that week as well. We both love being with them and would not have had it any other way. Now, I am a Mom of 2 and my sister has added a 3rd to the mix (Elliot is 3 weeks younger than Alysa). So that would mean 5 kids running around making things VERY chaotic. But I do hope that one day I get the chance to have all 5 of them under my roof and all to myself (well, I'll allow Jerome to join in the fun too).

So if this makes me crazy, so be it. I take great pride in the face that I am close to my niece and nephews that live 9 hours away. And that they have always known who we are. I also want my girls to have that bond with their cousins. I hope we can all nurture that for them. And considering the fact that Kayla still talks about them after seeing them last March, I would say we're off to a good start!




posted at 7:46 PM  
  3 comments



3 Comments:
At 8:22 PM, Blogger ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

I think that's great! My parents would love it if Dh and I let them watch our kids while we went away (I'm not ready to do that, I'd miss them too much). My ils would do it too (I have trust issues though-especially with the food allergies). It does seem though that a lot of grandparents today would have issues with it. Grandparents are more active today and have lives of their own and I think some feel "put out" by the suggestion of watching their grandkids for an extended period of time. Then there are those that would love to raise their grandkids. Just go to the ils board at BBC and you'd be shocked :)

 
At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As Sue's mom, I am very proud of how our family makes an effort to be there for each other. Sue and Jerome have watched Christine's kids and this year we are all going to Ohio for Thanksgiving. I know that, given the opportunity, Christine and Jason would do the same. Christine is already jumping through hoops to have as much of a dairy free visit as possible due to Kayla's allergy. It amazes me that not every family is like that. I recently was told by a co-worker that I must have no life because I'm with my grandchildren so much and that she doesn't have the "time" or "is not willing to devote that much energy to hers". My answer was "I make the time".

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Christine said...

Well, I think we're crazy, but for other reasons....


:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Search


Photobucket
Make your custom magnet at SupportOurRibbons.com
Photobucket
Blogs I Visit
Allergy Moms Blog
Are We There Yet
Big Blueberry Eyes
Check My Tag
Food Allergy FAQ
Fruit In Season (my Sister's blog)
Go Dairy Free
I'm a Drama Mama
Irish Triplets
My Daughters' Site
No Whey Mama
Our Story
Parenting a Child with Food Allergies
Parenting Solved
Pink Explosion
Principled Perspectives (my Father's blog)
Tuesday's Child
Typette

Blogs I've Designed
Fruit In Season
Principled Perspectives

Digi Scrap Blogs
Digi Treats by Pamela
Lindsay Jane Designs
Peppermint Creative
Sworda Scrappin
Tracy's Scraps

Photobucket

Blogrolls
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Family Friendly Blogroll []

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sat Phot Hunt Blogroll []

Recent Posts
Still Sick
9 Weird Things About Me...
A Heartbreaking Story
Still Going...
A Must See...
My First Photo Hunt
Friday's Feast (on Saturday)
The Latest
A Special Thank You...
Word Meme

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009

I'm Proud Of
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket

Miscellaneous
Mom Blogs The WeatherPixie
Subscribe with Bloglines

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: