About Me


Southern New Jersey

I am a Mom to 2 amazing and fun daughters and wife to a great guy and a wonderful father!

My Complete Profile

Email Me

Kayla, my oldest. She is 4 1/2 and is a sweet, loving and silly little girl. She took us 2 ½ years and 3 IVF’s to conceive. Kayla is allergic to dairy. We manage her allergy and work to balance her safety with giving her a normal childhood. Kayla loves to read books and play games - she amazes me every day.

Alysa, my youngest. She is 3 years old and is a silly little spitfire. She’s our monkey and loves to climb on everything. She was a “natural” baby, but it was only b/c of my wonderful doctors that we were able to stop an impending miscarriage. Alysa suffers from Acid Reflux Disease and sleep apnea. She may be little, but she has a big personality. She adores her big sister and is so much fun to be around. She keeps me laughing every day.

Our Daily Reads
On My Nightstand
Photobucket Photobucket
Mothers Day 2009

Thursday, October 16, 2008
Allergy Update
With Kayla's 3 positive skin tests in the past year, I wanted her allergist to repeat her blood test before exposing her yet again to dairy at her November appointment. When I got home yesterday from picking her up from school to a message from him asking me to call him to discuss her results, I knew it couldn't be good news. Although nothing may have been worse, it certainly didn't get better. Her last blood test in August of 2007 was done at Quest and for them the test is negative if the IEG level is <.35. At that time we had to go to Quest due to our insurance. This time, we had to go to Labcorp and they will show the number below .35. So she is still testing positive by blood at .21. Yes, this is a very small number since it is close to zero. But we don't know just how low her numbers were a year ago, so we can only guess that they were about this level as well. With her still positive blood test and her strong positive reaction via the multiple skin tests she's had since, he does not want to do a skin test in November. Instead we will wait another 6 months and retest her blood in May. So we're really taking a step backwards, but with the hopes that the extra 6 months is what she'll need. I would not want to expose her to dairy via the skin test repeatedly and hurt her chances even more of outgrowing either. But now our hope for November has been stripped away.

I'm glad to have the more specific number (all her future testing will be done at Labcorp), but I'm very bummed about the results. If I had known this a year ago, I would have never had her skin tested and would have paid for the more detailed test from Labcorp. It's now looking like she won't be outgrowing her allergy before the age of 5 at the very least.

Although nothing's really changed, it's a blow. I was not overly hopefully for a successful skin test, but there was a slimmer of hope, which is now gone. I also know the older she gets, the more she is effected mentally and emotionally by her allergy.

Even though this is not the news I had hoped for I'm going to take the time to be thankful for those in her life who have really stepped up and gone out of their way to not only keep her safe but to also make her feel safe.

posted at 3:28 PM  

At 4:49 PM, Blogger ChupieandJ'smama said...

Sorry that she'll have to wait 6 months. I'll keep my fingers crossed and say a prayer that next time will be 0.

At 9:20 PM, Blogger Nowheymama said...

Well, it's good to know the specifics, I guess. Keep your good attitude about it all.

At 12:43 AM, Blogger Donna said...

Wow, I wonder why Quest would not run a detailed result when it makes such a difference. Sort of like running an hcg test without the number...it really matters!

At 6:08 PM, Blogger Amy said...

What a pain (in more ways than one)...
our most recent allergist doesn't want us doing tests unless Flynn's shown signs of improvement. He says, "Why bother? We know she's still allergic."
But, after a recent episode, where she merely sneezed, wheezed, & had a runny nose (rather than airway closing, etc.), I have some faith & may demand a test, just for my own curiosity.

Thanks for your comment about our trip, pray for my nerves! :)

At 7:01 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I'm sorry you didn't get better news too; but at least you did find this out now and avoided having her do another skin test. Praying that in 6 months she'll show some improvement in that area and will be outgrowing the allergy.


Post a Comment

<< Home


Make your custom magnet at SupportOurRibbons.com
Blogs I Visit
Allergy Moms Blog
Are We There Yet
Big Blueberry Eyes
Check My Tag
Food Allergy FAQ
Fruit In Season (my Sister's blog)
Go Dairy Free
I'm a Drama Mama
Irish Triplets
My Daughters' Site
No Whey Mama
Our Story
Parenting a Child with Food Allergies
Parenting Solved
Pink Explosion
Principled Perspectives (my Father's blog)
Tuesday's Child

Blogs I've Designed
Fruit In Season
Principled Perspectives

Digi Scrap Blogs
Digi Treats by Pamela
Lindsay Jane Designs
Peppermint Creative
Sworda Scrappin
Tracy's Scraps


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Family Friendly Blogroll []

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sat Phot Hunt Blogroll []

Recent Posts
Columbus Day in Pictures
A scary reaction
A Quilt Giveaway
Sleeping Angel Photo Contest
A neighborhood of crim
A glimpse into her day
Food allergy Trick-or-Treating tips
I love a bargain
An alternate use for a Medic Alert bracelet
Bad Mommy

August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009

I'm Proud Of
Photobucket Photobucket

Mom Blogs The WeatherPixie
Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Design by:

Image from:

Powered by: