About Me

Name:
Sue

Location:
Southern New Jersey

I am a Mom to 2 amazing and fun daughters and wife to a great guy and a wonderful father!

My Complete Profile

Email Me


Kayla
Kayla, my oldest. She is 4 1/2 and is a sweet, loving and silly little girl. She took us 2 ½ years and 3 IVF’s to conceive. Kayla is allergic to dairy. We manage her allergy and work to balance her safety with giving her a normal childhood. Kayla loves to read books and play games - she amazes me every day.


Alysa
Alysa, my youngest. She is 3 years old and is a silly little spitfire. She’s our monkey and loves to climb on everything. She was a “natural” baby, but it was only b/c of my wonderful doctors that we were able to stop an impending miscarriage. Alysa suffers from Acid Reflux Disease and sleep apnea. She may be little, but she has a big personality. She adores her big sister and is so much fun to be around. She keeps me laughing every day.


Photobucket
Our Daily Reads
Photobucket
On My Nightstand
Photobucket Photobucket
Photos
Mothers Day 2009

Tuesday, August 12, 2008
Crabbing with the Crabs
Crabbing Adventures

Before I get into our crabbing trip, I’ve gotten some inquiries into my camera situation. I did buy a new camera – and I’m quite sick over it. I hate that I had to buy a new one. I went to an actual camera store and the guy spent some time trying to figure out the Kodak. No luck – we think it has to do with the ISO settings, but since mine has always been on auto, I can’t very well fix that. And I was told it was very very bad that it overheated. I had already figured that one out. So…I shopped and had looked at reviews, etc. I ended up getting a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ4. It’s beautiful and small (compact camera size) with a 10x zoom. I will not get anything with lower than a 10x zoom. It is 8.1 megapixels and I love it. So far so good (although my Kodak worked for a few months, so who knows…). The best part is it was on SALE and they had a special and I got a free printer. This was a bonus since my printer has been broken. Working precariously with plastic pieces broken off and just sitting there waiting to fall off and stop working permanently. I’m pretty psyched. Now I only hope this camera keeps working!

Enough about cameras – on to the good stuff. The girls were so excited Saturday night to go crabbing they could not fall asleep. It was cute, but frustrating since we had to wake them up at 4am Sunday morning. As a kid, we used to be on the water by 5am, but the place we found to go to doesn’t open until 5:30 (although they told me 6 on the phone). The girls were typical getting up. Alysa was a joy and popped up immediately jumping out of bed all smiles. Kayla is more like me and rolled over hoping I would go away.

Kayla was the oh-so-cautious child on the boat at first. She didn’t like the sound of the motor (too loud) and was nervous on the water and wanted to go home. (*sigh*). She also would not touch the lines to check for crabs. Alysa couldn’t have been more into it. She was pulling up lines and traps (well trying – they’re heavy for her). She was leaning over the side of the boat looking for crabs and had to help all of us check for our crabs. Of course, after a while the roles reversed. Kayla got comfortable and helped with the lines and was into it. Alysa got tired (she still had a lingering cold which made it worse) and was the crankiest child. She was miserable which makes other miserable. She actually fell asleep on me which she hasn’t done since she was 7 months old. It was very sweet – oh how I miss those days. But…being a crabbing boat with nothing to lean against makes for a very uncomfortable Mommy.

It was a very successful first trip and we were on the boat for 5 hours – not too shabby for a 2 ½ and 4 year old. We got more than a couple dozen crabs. We could have had twice that if we kept the babies – boy can they get annoying.

I broke down and actually let Kayla try some crab. She has never had shell fish and even though her allergist has told me she can have them, I wasn’t sure. But…I let her have a bite and all went well. Of course I can’t let my guard down yet because it’s technically her first exposure, but we’re one step closer to knowing if she can eat shell fish. She wasn’t too thrilled with it, but that just meant more for me J, my Dad and me.

Enough of my chatter and onto some pictures!

Alysa excited and wide awake at 4am!


Kayla wanting me to go away!


On the dock


On the boat


Kayla


Sunset


Alysa pulling in a line


Kayla pulling in a line


Kayla relaxing


Alysa sleeping


Kayla getting bored


Here is a video of them pulling lines in. I apologize for the sideways shot. I forgot I don't know how to flip the videos when I took them.

Make video montages at www.OneTrueMedia.com


posted at 1:32 PM  
  4 comments



4 Comments:
At 3:25 PM, Blogger ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

TOO CUTE! They look so cute on the boat. I'm glad they did well for the 4 hours. When we took the boys on the charter in Florida, they were seriously bored for the 4 hours we were out there. Of course I'm the only one who caught a fish that day, so not catching anything is boring for us grown ups too.
I'm glad you got a new camera. Here's to hoping that Panasonic is a better one!!

 
At 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

4 am??? My goodness, that's early!

It looks like everyone had a lot of fun!

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger pearlsandchocolate.com said...

Love the video!!! Wow!!! crabbing - get those little ones trained early, I love crab!

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger Donna said...

I have such great memories of doing this as a child so I can't wait to do it with my own kids. Love the pictures...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Search


Photobucket
Make your custom magnet at SupportOurRibbons.com
Photobucket
Blogs I Visit
Allergy Moms Blog
Are We There Yet
Big Blueberry Eyes
Check My Tag
Food Allergy FAQ
Fruit In Season (my Sister's blog)
Go Dairy Free
I'm a Drama Mama
Irish Triplets
My Daughters' Site
No Whey Mama
Our Story
Parenting a Child with Food Allergies
Parenting Solved
Pink Explosion
Principled Perspectives (my Father's blog)
Tuesday's Child
Typette

Blogs I've Designed
Fruit In Season
Principled Perspectives

Digi Scrap Blogs
Digi Treats by Pamela
Lindsay Jane Designs
Peppermint Creative
Sworda Scrappin
Tracy's Scraps

Photobucket

Blogrolls
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Family Friendly Blogroll []

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sat Phot Hunt Blogroll []

Recent Posts
Busy Week
Birthday Party - Part 3 - Back at the House
Happy 4th Birthday Kayla
Birthday Party - Part 2 - Pump It Up Fun
Birthday Party - Part 1
Amber Alert
Books Galore
People are Sick
Weekend Adventures
6 Random Things Meme

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009

I'm Proud Of
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket

Miscellaneous
Mom Blogs The WeatherPixie
Subscribe with Bloglines

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: