About Me

Name:
Sue

Location:
Southern New Jersey

I am a Mom to 2 amazing and fun daughters and wife to a great guy and a wonderful father!

My Complete Profile

Email Me


Kayla
Kayla, my oldest. She is 4 1/2 and is a sweet, loving and silly little girl. She took us 2 ½ years and 3 IVF’s to conceive. Kayla is allergic to dairy. We manage her allergy and work to balance her safety with giving her a normal childhood. Kayla loves to read books and play games - she amazes me every day.


Alysa
Alysa, my youngest. She is 3 years old and is a silly little spitfire. She’s our monkey and loves to climb on everything. She was a “natural” baby, but it was only b/c of my wonderful doctors that we were able to stop an impending miscarriage. Alysa suffers from Acid Reflux Disease and sleep apnea. She may be little, but she has a big personality. She adores her big sister and is so much fun to be around. She keeps me laughing every day.


Photobucket
Our Daily Reads
Photobucket
On My Nightstand
Photobucket Photobucket
Photos
Mothers Day 2009

Wednesday, July 30, 2008
People are Sick
People can be really sick. And the internet allows people to actually verbalize this without the fear of retaliation or alienation. As a Mom to a child with food allergies, I have had my share of altercations over Kayla’s condition. But overall, they’ve been few and far between. You can usually tell those people who think it’s a “joke” or nothing serious. Most of it is subtle, a look or a tone of voice. You can just tell that they don’t take it seriously. But very few people (at least no one I’ve ever encountered) will actually come right out and say they think you’re ridiculous. But give them the opportunity to be anonymous and you’ll see what they really think.

If you go online to any article that talks about accommodating someone with food allergies. Watch out! You will see some of the most despicable venom and hatred imaginable. It is mind boggling what people will say, especially when you take into account that most accommodations made for those with food allergies are made with the kids in mind, not the adults.

Most recently in the news have been ball parks. There have been a number of baseball stadiums in recent months experimenting with peanut-free games or peanut-free sections. The most recent one I’ve seen is an article I found over at Allergy Moms. The Seattle Mariners is jumping on the peanut-free bandwagon.

If you're allergic to peanuts — and my sympathies for that tragic misfortune, if you are — Seattle's Safeco Field will be the place to be on Aug. 5 and Sept. 9. The stadium staff there is planning to make two sections "peanut-controlled" zones, cleaning each before the game and banning the sale of peanuts at nearby concession stands so those afflicted by the food allergy can watch the game without worry.


Please note that this is a voluntary ban on two sections at two games out of the entire season. This is not a forced ban. Peanuts will still be allowed and sold at the game at and in other sections for those two dates. For those that know me, know I do not support food bans, especially mandated ones. But any organization who wants to accommodate those with food allergies in order to open up their services to those who would ordinarily not be able to enjoy what they offer is great. These sections will make it easier for those with peanut allergies to enjoy a baseball game. And in my opinion, like most of these types of accommodations, this is geared mostly towards kids with food allergies. I know I’ll never encounter a dairy-free zone for a baseball event, but I certainly support the right of the organization to make whatever accommodations they want to for their customers.

Of course not everyone will agree with these sections and that’s fine – not everyone has to agree. But the comments will blow you away. Here is a sampling of some of the more hostile ones… [please note – all the typo’s are theirs]

“If people are stupid enough to eat something they know they're allergic to then let them suffer the consequences. Why should the rest of us be deprived.”

“our society sucks...we bend over backwards to make sure we aren't sued for trivial cr*p like peanuts...”

“that is the most stupid thing i have ever heard. stay HOME in your peanut free enviroment and let the people who are not whinny ******** enjoy the game.”

“Buy me some peanuts and crackerjack! I don't care if I never get back, cus I shall, be dead due to al-ergies. If I, don't live it's a shame!!! Cus it's 1, 2, 3 secs I'm gone to be deep-ly in my grave!!!!...”

“THAT IS SO STUPID! Why can't they just say no? Why are we becoming a country in which no one is responsible for their own actions anymore? If someone is allergic to peanuts and they knowingly eat them of their own free will, then that's one less dumb*** to ruin it for the rest of us.”

“We've become a bunch of wimps. If you don't like peanuts, too bad, deal with it. I don't like lots of things, and that's part of life. Our nation is sissified to the max. Please pass the peanuts. If you don't like it, too bad! “

“If they want a "peanut free zone" why don't they watch the game from home? “

“What is the deal-the one in ten thousand that have an allergy can determine whether I can eat peanuts? What is happening to America? If you can't eat peanuts-then don't. If you can't be around them-then stay away-watch the game on TV.

I am sick and tired of you allergic cripples dictating what I can and can't eat. Either go away, or die. We are here, we eat peanuts-get used to it!!”

“Give me a fri**ing break! Banning peanuts? Here's a novel idea... If you are alergic to peanuts, DON'T BUY THEM! and DON'T EAT PEANUT CRUMBS OFF THE SEATS AND GROUND! “


And just to prove how ignorant these people are – here are some comments highlighting that people, not only have no clue about food allergies, but they also do not know anything about politics. Some have even decided to blame Bush. Maybe we should tell the one person that some airlines have ALREADY stopped serving peanuts on planes. I think the last time I got peanuts on an airplane was in 1991!

“Political Correctness is getting out of hand. Give me a break. What nonsense. All these groups trying to tear down the walls of tradition. Scr*w the minority. Majority rules!”

“The Mariners are the peanuts that should be banned, considering the way they play, but they have their new stadium, and another group of Seattle idiots can say they ripped off the taxpayers, because they hate us, and they are supposed to be cute for banning peanuts, it is just another left wing attempt at controlling peoples lives. I have an allergy to asparagus of all things, but I don't expect Albertsons to take it out of the sale aisle.......Seattle is getting stupid.....”

“If they ban peanuts on planes , I am leaving the country and denouncing my citizenship, we are headed for disaster. Thanks George, thanks a lot.....”

“Another CONSERVATIVE MOVE on our society! BUSH at work!”


These sections are a business decision made by the organization that runs the stadium. This is not a government ban!

Note to those who hate the idea, just as it is the stadium’s choice to make these accommodations – it is your choice to not attend these games!!!


posted at 8:00 AM  
  6 comments



6 Comments:
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Christine said...

That is just appalling. I'm speechless.

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

I saw this yesterday over at Allergy Moms and was surprised, yet not. I swear these people are completely whacko. I put on Allergy Moms that we should try and have a wheat free day and see what they would do if we took buns and beer away from them. They'd probably burn the place down.

Some people are so evil that they'll make a stink over anything.

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger Donna said...

Oh my gosh, what is wrong with these people? Could they all really possibly feel this way? I am speechless too...

 
At 12:10 AM, Blogger Amy said...

Went through something similar a couple of mos ago when our stadium did the same thing.
We sat there, mouths gaped open, at the stupidity & hatefulness of some of the commenters on various online articles.
It scares me as an allergy mom, that my daughter will be sharing society w/ such ignorant people.

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger principled perspectives said...

Sue:

As infuriating as these people and their comments are, the fact that they can’t say outright what they say under cover of anonymity tells you a lot. Ignorance is powerless as long as there are people willing to speak out intelligently. As you know, I engage in a lot of on-line activism, and I can tell you that intelligent commentary shines out on these forums. I actually commented on an article that addressed the very issue of nasty, offensive, anonymous bloggers. Rational, fact-based argumentation, even when you may vehemently disagree with a particular viewpoint, renders these kinds of mental scrap irrelevant. So keep on advocating, educating, and logically answering valid points raised by others (as I know you will), and you will reach the rational minds that matter while relegating the ignorant to the scrap heap where they belong.


Love, DAD

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Blessed said...

We get a lot of those kind of out-of-place, certainly don't understand the issue - hate comments on the hunting blogs from non-hunters and animal rights activists and I think it is ridiculous and uncalled for in those circumstances but these examples...

Oh My - These people obviously don't know how to think through something or even really read a press release. To have that strong of a reaction to a voluntary, 2 game, partial ban to an allergen that affects a lot of people... it boggles my mind.

I applaud the stadium for what they are doing - it is awesome that they would be willing to do this to accommodate families with allergies, many of whom simply want to give their child a once-in-a-lifetime experience of getting to enjoy a game from the stadium instead of their peanut-free living room.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Search


Photobucket
Make your custom magnet at SupportOurRibbons.com
Photobucket
Blogs I Visit
Allergy Moms Blog
Are We There Yet
Big Blueberry Eyes
Check My Tag
Food Allergy FAQ
Fruit In Season (my Sister's blog)
Go Dairy Free
I'm a Drama Mama
Irish Triplets
My Daughters' Site
No Whey Mama
Our Story
Parenting a Child with Food Allergies
Parenting Solved
Pink Explosion
Principled Perspectives (my Father's blog)
Tuesday's Child
Typette

Blogs I've Designed
Fruit In Season
Principled Perspectives

Digi Scrap Blogs
Digi Treats by Pamela
Lindsay Jane Designs
Peppermint Creative
Sworda Scrappin
Tracy's Scraps

Photobucket

Blogrolls
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Family Friendly Blogroll []

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sat Phot Hunt Blogroll []

Recent Posts
Weekend Adventures
6 Random Things Meme
Daddy Diego
Pictures, pictures & more pictures
We Made It Through
For Rent
OMT
Oy
Delaware Trip & Invite
Highlight of my Day

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009

I'm Proud Of
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket

Miscellaneous
Mom Blogs The WeatherPixie
Subscribe with Bloglines

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: