About Me

Name:
Sue

Location:
Southern New Jersey

I am a Mom to 2 amazing and fun daughters and wife to a great guy and a wonderful father!

My Complete Profile

Email Me


Kayla
Kayla, my oldest. She is 4 1/2 and is a sweet, loving and silly little girl. She took us 2 ½ years and 3 IVF’s to conceive. Kayla is allergic to dairy. We manage her allergy and work to balance her safety with giving her a normal childhood. Kayla loves to read books and play games - she amazes me every day.


Alysa
Alysa, my youngest. She is 3 years old and is a silly little spitfire. She’s our monkey and loves to climb on everything. She was a “natural” baby, but it was only b/c of my wonderful doctors that we were able to stop an impending miscarriage. Alysa suffers from Acid Reflux Disease and sleep apnea. She may be little, but she has a big personality. She adores her big sister and is so much fun to be around. She keeps me laughing every day.


Photobucket
Our Daily Reads
Photobucket
On My Nightstand
Photobucket Photobucket
Photos
Mothers Day 2009

Monday, May 05, 2008
Drum roll please…
24lb, 10oz – That is what Alysa weighed at her GI check-up last week. 1lb, 9oz – That is what she gained since March 13th. Needless to say that not only has her new diet and supplements been a success in getting her to eat, but she is gaining weight AND has gained ground on the growth curve. She is back up to just under the 10%. He doctor is very pleased and if she continues to gain weight and do good as we wean her off the Prevacid, we will not need to go back and see her again. Please cross your fingers that everything continues to go well.



I had my free weekend as the girls were with my parents. It was nice to relax, “sleep in” (8 is now sleeping in for me) and do some things for me. I can’t say I was as productive as I would have liked, but…I did get a couple pages scrapped during our scrapping day, which I will post later on or tomorrow. I will also say it was perfectly timed since this past weekend was National Digital Scrapbooking Weekend. Saturday night three of us had some munchies at my house and then we went to a local comedy club. It was great to get out and laugh. Some of the comedians were really funny.

The girls had fun at Nanny and Gramp’s house. Kayla did get a bit homesick. When I talked to her Saturday evening, the first words out of her mouth were, “I want to come home.” Sunday they went to the Aquarium which they loved. And Sunday afternoon, my parents delivered two extremely tired and cranky little girls. But these two tired and cranky little girls were very happy to see me and the feeling was mutual.



I am in need of suggestions. Last Thursday I received the May newsletter from Kayla’s school. In this newsletter was a fun announcement that on June 4th they are having their annual school picnic with lunch served. For most Moms it probably brings up happy thoughts and feelings of “how nice that they do this”; or “this will be fun for the kids”. But for me, as an Allergy Mom, it made me feel like a vice was tightening around my stomach. And it pretty much has stayed that way ever since. I went in Friday morning to talk to the receptionist at the school about the picnic. It is after Kayla’s normal school day and they feed the kids lunch. Now technically, since it is during the school’s lunch period, I can just not let Kayla stay for it. Even though that would be the best (and easiest) for my anxiety level and would obviously keep her out of harm’s way, this goes against my desire to give Kayla as normal a life as possible. I strive to let her experience everything other kids can and have kept her away from things very rarely. So…I need to be armed with information AND make sure that I am one of the volunteers that they were requesting. Last year, they served hotdogs and buns and macaroni and cheese, then they had fruit and veggie trays, and of course, what would a picnic be without the ice cream man? As of now, that is what the menu will be this year, but…they are open to suggestions. She said they will consider anything – keeping in mind that it is workable and kid-friendly (apparently the mac and cheese was a huge hit last year). One of the women (I believe the owner) lives close by and cooks it all at her house and brings it back over at lunch time. They are willing to get hot dogs and buns that I choose (yay) and I was even told that I can go with the owner to her house and cook Kayla’s separately (they really do “get it” at her school). So…now I want to come up with kid-friendly and kid-pleasing alternatives to macaroni and cheese. The ice cream is not as flexible as there is no cost-friendly alternative that the school would consider. Milk-alternative ice creams are not cheap. So, I’ll have to bring hers with me and bring some valium for myself. I will also be supplying the school with a case of wipes so we can put a package on each table so the other Moms and teachers can wipe their hands down when they are done eating. She also said that they can put down table cloths which they will then take down as soon as the kids are done eating.

I am very grateful for their willingness to work with me. I know that even if the menu does not work out to be 100% safe for Kayla, I will feel better letting her be there knowing that they truly do have her best interests at heart and are willing to make adjustments on her behalf.

So…if anyone has any suggestions for a substitute for macaroni and cheese, please let me know. Even if you think it may have dairy in it (other than cheese, which is almost impossible to substitute for), let me know, since most dairy can be easily substituted for.



Here’s a pic of Alysa eating a soft pretzel with J today. She LOVES them but can only have them when Kayla is not around…





p.s. I got my camera today…but…they sent me a broken refurbished one. I can’t even talk about it…


posted at 12:06 PM  
  8 comments



8 Comments:
At 3:32 PM, Blogger ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Yay for the weight gain!! I sure wish I could pass her some of mine (lol). She needs a little more, and I need a little less.
Glad your kid-free weekend was a good one:)

So sorry about the camera. I won't speak of it any more.

 
At 2:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's great news about the weight gain.

Sounds like you had a fun weekend! I pulled down my scrapbook stuff, after you mentioned it.

That stinks about your camera. You would think they would have given you a brand new one.

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger All my love, Carmen said...

I know it's not mac and cheese but...baked beans?

Bush's Baked Beans don't have any casein or dairy in them.
http://www.bushbeans.com/faq.php

They're even easier and cheaper than mac and cheese, and everyone I knew growing up loved them(except me, bleh)

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Christine said...

Woo-hoo!!!!!!!! What a cutie patootie! I'm so happy for you guys, I'm sure it is the beginning of the burden lifted off of your shoulders.

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Okay, I tried to post a rrrreally long comment earlier, & my computer randomly froze up, lost everything, & said something about PHYSICAL DUMP (which is what i thought my 2 yr old does in his diaper).
So, this post will be a little more brief...

My allergy girl LOVES & is totally used to plain pasta, so I've only done this one time for her:
Dairy-free pasta + fleishmans (glucose free/ sodium free) butter + any lactose-free cheese (whole foods / trader joe's here, arries it). I just cook it like the 'regular' kind. The cheese of course doesn't melt near as well. But you get the same idea.

I think it's AWESOME that her school is working so hard for you.

I had a negative experience last week w/ Flynn's school. They didn't tell me ahead of time (they claim the parent didn't warn them) & a child rbought in ice cream for their bday.
I didn't have a substitute for Flynn. So, I was later told that she sat in a separate room (w/ a different class) & ate the snack I sent w/ her (wow, fruit snacks, gee, what an exciting alternative to the ice cream all YOUR FRIENDS are eating next door).
I left a very upset voice mail on the director's phone that I bend over backwards to work w/ them so that she's not left out. Then this happens.
I was upset all a.m. thinking of how that must've felt to be sent to a different class so that your buddies could have such a treat.
Needless to say, I don't think it'll happen again. Or, we will be looking for a new place.

Okay, that did end up lengthy, sorry about that.

My girl's current fav: SUPER PRETZEL. Frozen. Cheap. Easy. And she loves it.

Be well!

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Typette said...

That's nice to hear how the school is so willing to work with you! The really do care about children's safety -- but I know that some can be hard-pressed and less accommodating... you are lucky :)

Sux about the camera -- I can't even imagine the frustration at this point.

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger Jess P. said...

What about popsicles instead of ice cream? Those are cheap for the school to buy! I usually do Macaroni and Chreese (I think it's from Road's End Organics) for Lily when I need an alternative. Otherwise she's pretty happy with DF buttered noodles. I even stir in a little squash so the color looks right. No one notices at my house. :)

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I'm glad to hear Alysa is gaining weight and on the growth curve - whoo hoo!

How great that you had a kid-free weekend to do your own thing too :)

I don't have a lot of advice about the picnic since I don't have experience in that area...but how about frozen fruit pops instead of ice cream? I'm not sure what is in the ingredients though?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Search


Photobucket
Make your custom magnet at SupportOurRibbons.com
Photobucket
Blogs I Visit
Allergy Moms Blog
Are We There Yet
Big Blueberry Eyes
Check My Tag
Food Allergy FAQ
Fruit In Season (my Sister's blog)
Go Dairy Free
I'm a Drama Mama
Irish Triplets
My Daughters' Site
No Whey Mama
Our Story
Parenting a Child with Food Allergies
Parenting Solved
Pink Explosion
Principled Perspectives (my Father's blog)
Tuesday's Child
Typette

Blogs I've Designed
Fruit In Season
Principled Perspectives

Digi Scrap Blogs
Digi Treats by Pamela
Lindsay Jane Designs
Peppermint Creative
Sworda Scrappin
Tracy's Scraps

Photobucket

Blogrolls
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Family Friendly Blogroll []

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sat Phot Hunt Blogroll []

Recent Posts
Alysa'isms etc...
Bath Terrors
She has a belly!
Alysa's Idol
She knows me so well
Nutritionist follow-up
Food Allergy Cooking Show
Mixed News
Odds & Ends
Food Allergies – Disability/Special Need?

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009

I'm Proud Of
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket

Miscellaneous
Mom Blogs The WeatherPixie
Subscribe with Bloglines

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: