About Me

Name:
Sue

Location:
Southern New Jersey

I am a Mom to 2 amazing and fun daughters and wife to a great guy and a wonderful father!

My Complete Profile

Email Me


Kayla
Kayla, my oldest. She is 4 1/2 and is a sweet, loving and silly little girl. She took us 2 ½ years and 3 IVF’s to conceive. Kayla is allergic to dairy. We manage her allergy and work to balance her safety with giving her a normal childhood. Kayla loves to read books and play games - she amazes me every day.


Alysa
Alysa, my youngest. She is 3 years old and is a silly little spitfire. She’s our monkey and loves to climb on everything. She was a “natural” baby, but it was only b/c of my wonderful doctors that we were able to stop an impending miscarriage. Alysa suffers from Acid Reflux Disease and sleep apnea. She may be little, but she has a big personality. She adores her big sister and is so much fun to be around. She keeps me laughing every day.


Photobucket
Our Daily Reads
Photobucket
On My Nightstand
Photobucket Photobucket
Photos
Mothers Day 2009

Friday, April 18, 2008
Mixed News
I am not sure if I mentioned that the girls have their gymnastics show on Mother's Day this year. Not the best day for me, but J took off for our annual Mother's Day brunch, so now he can go. I'm trying to find the silver lining in giving up my Mother's Day. We'll still have our annual brunch, but I'll spend my afternoon taking pictures of my girls at the gym. Maybe that's not so bad after all.

So without even thinking, I signed the girls up for the show on Monday. Then it clicked - oh no - what if they have food? So yesterday I talked to a woman at the desk and she said yes, they usually have some food. I explained why I was asking and her response? "Well, shouldn't she know not to eat anything?" Um...why didn't I think of that?!? I ignored the comment and explained that she was contact reactive, yada...yada...yada. She then had me speak to the man who is handling it. He told me that they would have soft pretzels and possibly hot dogs. He also said sometimes they get candy and chocolate (they sell all this stuff). After asking me about her allergy and if the pretzels are OK (I know for a fact the Philly soft pretzels DO contain dairy), he then voluntarily offered to NOT put out any chocolate. I had told him that although the pretzels contain dairy, they are a much lower risk because dairy is only a small part of the pretzel, but the chocolate is what really concerns me. So I'll be getting in touch with him as it gets closer to confirm this (he said he'd make a note for himself). I can't tell you how appreciative I am. The food will still add another level of anxiety to the day, but knowing they are willing to work with us is very comforting.



Today, I finally got around to dropping Alysa off at her baby sitter's so I could go and observe Kayla at school. The only thing her Montessori school is missing is the two-way mirrors. So in order to observe I had to be in her class. She was so excited to see me (I hadn't told her I was coming). You know me and my camera - well, I didn't take any pictures because I didn't want to disrupt her anymore than she already was. I got to see her doing some of her work, but I was a bit disappointed that she decided today to spend about half the time I was there reading books. Um...I can see her do that at home. ;) But it was nice to see not only her working, but the other kids. Some were coloring or drawing or working with pictures, others were working with the materials and others were reading and writing. And the most amazing thing? The entire half hour I was there, her thumb didn't go in her mouth AT ALL! I was shocked. Her teacher said she's getting better with it when she's busy - when it's circle time, it's harder for her.

But...while I was there, I found out that her teacher is pregnant and due in August. Of course, I'm happy for her, but I now feel sick to my stomach. She will not be teaching next year which means that I have to work with a whole new teacher with regards to Kayla's allergy (at Montessori the kids stay with the same teacher for their years of pre-K and Kindergarten). I love her current teacher and so does Kayla. But most importantly, she seems to really get it. She understands the seriousness and has worked hard at keeping Kayla reaction-free this year. I'm going to be requesting that Kayla stay with her current teacher's assistant so at least one person going into next year will be used to dealing with her allergy.

Would it have been too much for me to ask her to wait 2 years to have a baby?


posted at 2:21 PM  
  4 comments



4 Comments:
At 6:25 PM, Blogger ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Sorry about Mother's Day and sorry about the food. It really takes the fun out of things.
Hopefully the teacher Kayla gets next year will be just as vigilant. Maybe the old teacher can leave instructions for the new teacher? Between you and her Kayla should be covered.

 
At 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've found myself requesting teachers that have some knowledge of Diabetes. Most of the teachers I've talked too are very supportive and understanding, and willing to work with me in allowing Joshua anything he needs.

Hoping Kayla's teacher next year is as wonderful as her teacher this year!

 
At 6:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was in college I was a nanny for a wonderful family, when I got engaged they told me they had forgotten to ask me to not get married!

I am glad that the man in charge of the food was helpful and willing to work with you. I do find it funny (in a non-humorous way) that the lady thought Kayla should know what she can/n't have.

 
At 12:25 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

That does seem strange to have it on Mother's Day! At least you'll still get your brunch though!

Despite what that lady said about Kayla knowing what to eat, I'm glad the guy in charge is so willing to make the neccessary accomodations!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Search


Photobucket
Make your custom magnet at SupportOurRibbons.com
Photobucket
Blogs I Visit
Allergy Moms Blog
Are We There Yet
Big Blueberry Eyes
Check My Tag
Food Allergy FAQ
Fruit In Season (my Sister's blog)
Go Dairy Free
I'm a Drama Mama
Irish Triplets
My Daughters' Site
No Whey Mama
Our Story
Parenting a Child with Food Allergies
Parenting Solved
Pink Explosion
Principled Perspectives (my Father's blog)
Tuesday's Child
Typette

Blogs I've Designed
Fruit In Season
Principled Perspectives

Digi Scrap Blogs
Digi Treats by Pamela
Lindsay Jane Designs
Peppermint Creative
Sworda Scrappin
Tracy's Scraps

Photobucket

Blogrolls
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Family Friendly Blogroll []

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sat Phot Hunt Blogroll []

Recent Posts
Odds & Ends
Food Allergies – Disability/Special Need?
Walk for Food Allergies
Recent Kayla'isms
Turning a Corner
Nexium Approved for Kids
Tax-Free Day
Food Surrounds Us
Some Food Allergy Business
Ohio Pictures

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009

I'm Proud Of
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket

Miscellaneous
Mom Blogs The WeatherPixie
Subscribe with Bloglines

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: