About Me

Name:
Sue

Location:
Southern New Jersey

I am a Mom to 2 amazing and fun daughters and wife to a great guy and a wonderful father!

My Complete Profile

Email Me


Kayla
Kayla, my oldest. She is 4 1/2 and is a sweet, loving and silly little girl. She took us 2 ½ years and 3 IVF’s to conceive. Kayla is allergic to dairy. We manage her allergy and work to balance her safety with giving her a normal childhood. Kayla loves to read books and play games - she amazes me every day.


Alysa
Alysa, my youngest. She is 3 years old and is a silly little spitfire. She’s our monkey and loves to climb on everything. She was a “natural” baby, but it was only b/c of my wonderful doctors that we were able to stop an impending miscarriage. Alysa suffers from Acid Reflux Disease and sleep apnea. She may be little, but she has a big personality. She adores her big sister and is so much fun to be around. She keeps me laughing every day.


Photobucket
Our Daily Reads
Photobucket
On My Nightstand
Photobucket Photobucket
Photos
Mothers Day 2009

Tuesday, February 10, 2009
School Adjustments
Kayla has been having a tough year at preschool. Last year, she adored school. We both loved her teacher and the TA (teacher’s assistant). They were great with Kayla and with the food allergy. I couldn’t have asked for any more diligence and Kayla wanted to go to school 7 days a week and was sad every weekend when she stayed home. What more could a Mom want?

If you remember, her teacher from last year had a baby over the summer which meant a new teacher for Kayla in September (typically in Montessori, they remain with the same teacher all 3 year – which is one of the many pluses). Neither J nor I were as thrilled with her. I thought she was a bit too “public school” (that is where her background was). Kayla, although always said she liked her, was not as enthusiastic about school. She would daily say she did not want to go. But, through it all, she was progressing – she’s writing her name and other letters. Doing really well on her sounds at school (as well as at home). Then, if you remember, in December we got word that her new teacher was leaving and a new one would be taking over Jan 5th. I had many concerns, the most important being a complete lack of Montessori experience. I was not happy, but tried to reserve judgment. I did feel better after I met her and actually liked her more than her teacher the first half of this year. Her background, although, not in Montessori, is one of similar philosophies and she seemed dedicated to Montessori. So I decided to continue to reserve judgment.

I believe this new change was just too much for Kayla. Since day one of learning a new teacher would be taking over, she has complained of not liking her. Kayla is my complete creature of habit. It’s even a struggle on warm days and when spring hits to transition her from a coat to a light jacket or no coat/hat/gloves, etc and vice versa. I knew she didn’t like the change, but I wanted to give it time. Especially since the teacher took over on January 5th, Kayla has only been in school for 1 full week due to Disney and being sick over and over and over…(you get the picture). But, let’s just say, without going into all the details, that last week, I had to take action and meet with her teacher. Her teacher was great and put some of my concerns about her to rest. She was also trying to give Kayla another week, before calling me. Apparently things were worse than I thought.

She told me Kayla will barely go near her. She shies away from her and will even hold onto the TA (who thankfully has stayed constant). Her teacher can not get Kayla to do any work with her and Kayla won’t even do any of the work at school at this point. She will only draw on the easel (which is evident by the million and one drawings I get home each day). Kayla has been very clingy with the TA. I then told her that Kayla, from day one has said she did not like her, but that it started before she even met her. She was very sincere about wanting to help work with me to get Kayla through this transition. Her teacher has wanted to work with Kayla to see where she is at with her numbers, letters, etc but has been unable to. She has been reluctant to push Kayla too far because she knows it will only work to further distance Kayla from her.

Later that week I brought in some of the things Kayla did last year and the work Kayla has done this year so she could get an idea as to where Kayla really is.

Thankfully we have noticed a slight improvement in Kayla in the past week. She still does not want to go to school, but…she has been bringing home some work sheets. There was a day where the TA was absent, so Kayla’s only choice was the teacher. They do have a sub, but apparently the teacher was the better option.

She and I are working to find some common ground – like Kayla and her teacher’s favorite animal is a jelly fish. Kayla has a beanie baby jelly fish and I found another on eBay, which I purchased and Kayla is actually excited to give it to her. I certainly don’t plan on showering her teacher with gifts, but I am trying this to see if it will help Kayla to bond with her. I am concerned about her back-peddling and do not want her to stop progressing at school. I do know I need to give the new teacher a really fair shot before considering changing class rooms (which has been suggested to me by others not in the school). If it’s really the teacher and she won’t progress, I would have to consider that. But if it is the change, moving her would only make thing worse and it would take Kayla way from the only constant in all of this – the TA. Not to mention, it would take me away from the TA who is the one I trust the most with Kayla’s allergy, as she is the one who handles the snacks.

It’s definitely not easy watching your child struggle. I just hope I can give her the tools and work with her to feel safe enough to work through this and begin to enjoy and look forward to school again. Especially since her preschool is going to be the safest school setting she’ll ever be in. I have a feeling it will only get harder when she hits public school. I want us both to be able to cherish the next year and half before the real battles begin…


posted at 7:32 PM  
  2 comments



2 Comments:
At 7:32 AM, Blogger ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Jason ADORES his teacher. He said "Miss S is a rock star" (no kidding on that one) but he has not been wanting to go to school either. Every day he says something hurts him. It's either his tummy or his foot. If he doesn't have a fever he goes. But I don't know why he doesn't like school. I'm worried that it's because he's having a hard time writing his name or using scissors, but his O/T therapist says that even though he's slightly behind, he's right on the edge of where he should be for his age. I'm glad at this point we are holding him back from Kindergarten next year. K is all day and I just can't see him making it that long if he can't handle 2.5 hrs of preschool.
I hope Kayla finds a bond with the new teacher. It's got to be hard on her to go there every day if she's not enjoying it:(

 
At 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Claire isn't in school this year, but when she was she always said she liked her teachers, but she never talked to them, and she always steered clear of them. She would talk about them in the car (in a good way) but was reserved there.

I hope things continue to improve, finding common ground sounds like a GREAT plan!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Search


Photobucket
Make your custom magnet at SupportOurRibbons.com
Photobucket
Blogs I Visit
Allergy Moms Blog
Are We There Yet
Big Blueberry Eyes
Check My Tag
Food Allergy FAQ
Fruit In Season (my Sister's blog)
Go Dairy Free
I'm a Drama Mama
Irish Triplets
My Daughters' Site
No Whey Mama
Our Story
Parenting a Child with Food Allergies
Parenting Solved
Pink Explosion
Principled Perspectives (my Father's blog)
Tuesday's Child
Typette

Blogs I've Designed
Fruit In Season
Principled Perspectives

Digi Scrap Blogs
Digi Treats by Pamela
Lindsay Jane Designs
Peppermint Creative
Sworda Scrappin
Tracy's Scraps

Photobucket

Blogrolls
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Family Friendly Blogroll []

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sat Phot Hunt Blogroll []

Recent Posts
Alysa's new bed in the making...
Stomach bugs, fevers, pink eye...oh my!
Disney Days 4, 5 & 6...the last
Is it any wonder...
Missing them already
Disney Day 3
Disney Day 2
Some good news for the soy & dairy allergic
Disney Day 1
I'm working on it, really I am...

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009

I'm Proud Of
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket

Miscellaneous
Mom Blogs The WeatherPixie
Subscribe with Bloglines

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: