About Me

Name:
Sue

Location:
Southern New Jersey

I am a Mom to 2 amazing and fun daughters and wife to a great guy and a wonderful father!

My Complete Profile

Email Me


Kayla
Kayla, my oldest. She is 4 1/2 and is a sweet, loving and silly little girl. She took us 2 ½ years and 3 IVF’s to conceive. Kayla is allergic to dairy. We manage her allergy and work to balance her safety with giving her a normal childhood. Kayla loves to read books and play games - she amazes me every day.


Alysa
Alysa, my youngest. She is 3 years old and is a silly little spitfire. She’s our monkey and loves to climb on everything. She was a “natural” baby, but it was only b/c of my wonderful doctors that we were able to stop an impending miscarriage. Alysa suffers from Acid Reflux Disease and sleep apnea. She may be little, but she has a big personality. She adores her big sister and is so much fun to be around. She keeps me laughing every day.


Photobucket
Our Daily Reads
Photobucket
On My Nightstand
Photobucket Photobucket
Photos
Mothers Day 2009

Wednesday, March 21, 2007
I Learned My Lesson
***I had actually typed this at work yesterday morning (Tuesday is my mini work day – 3 hours) in word, but we had a power failure b4 I could post it, hence why it’s being posted today – it was at work and I was at home yesterday.***

As I’ve mentioned, J took Sunday off and we were going to attempt to jump-start Kayla’s potty training. And, as I’ve also mentioned, I had no hopes for this attempt. I was certain it would be a bust and J would be wasting one of his precious vacation days being stuck in the house with an uncooperative naked 2 ½ year old. Back in September, we tried to put her on the potty throughout the day. And for about a week, she would pee on the potty once a day. Not to mention that she has been telling me when to change her since she was about 18 months old. So I know she’s ready (at least physically), but…ever since September, she has had a complete aversion to the potty. Even being scared to pee on it at times. Otherwise, by just outright refusing to sit on it. So you can see why I did not have high hopes for this venture.

Well, let’s just say Kayla taught me a very important lesson the past couple of days. That lesson is NEVER under-estimate your child. Kayla has done better than I ever could have dreamed. I would not say she is potty trained, but…she is well on her way. We let her run around naked and put a potty in the family room and her playroom (aka our living room). She actually did sit on it on and off in the morning and I told her that for trying to pee, she would get a sticker and when she did pee, she would get 2 chocolate chips. This girl LOVES her chocolate. So all morning, either J or I followed her around waiting for her to pee on the floor. It finally happened late morning. As soon as she started, I picked her up and put her on the potty. The rest I should say is history. She was startled at first and wanted to see, so she did not finish going. But once she got chocolate for going, there was no going back. For about a half hour, as soon as we would clean her up and the potty, she went to the other potty to pee some more so she could have more chocolate. She’s too smart sometimes. :) The rest of the day, she pee’d and got chocolate. And she is actually quite proud of herself now.

The funniest thing was Monday morning when she got out of bed. She had gone in her diaper, but I still told her it was time to sit on the potty and try. She didn’t want to and wanted to keep her jammies on. But… as soon as I told her she’d get chocolate if she went, she could not get her jammies off fast enough. She actually was getting tangled in them trying to get them off. ;) The rest of the day, her and her naked tush did very well again. She did have one “accident” after dinner –she had her underpants on and she pee’d on the floor in the kitchen. But that was once out of 2 days, so I’m certainly not complaining.

The funniest part? Monday afternoon, I was in the family room and she was in the play room. I hear her saying “Mommy, I did pee pee’s on the potty”. So I go in to check and she had not gone pee on the potty, but she had pooped on the potty! I almost fell over from shock. She had done it all by herself. Of course, I made a HUGE deal out of it and I think she was a bit surprised over the whole thing. And she got 5 chocolate chips for that one. I never expected that, that’s for sure.

Monday night she was cute, as b4 bed, I heard her go over to the potty saying, “I have to go pee pee’s” over and over. I went out to her and she got up and said she didn’t have to go. So I let it go. Well, 2 minutes later she did the same thing again. This time I left her alone as it was obvious she wanted to do it by herself. After she told me she went potty, I went out and she had pee’d, in the potty, on the potty and on the carpet. We are working on how far back to sit on the potty. But I’ll take it. It’s cute to see her want to be so independent about it.

And there have been times that she went and did not ask for chocolate. Although with how thin she is, I’m not worried if she gains a few pounds from chocolate. ;) Plus it’s dark chocolate, so that’s healthy for you, right? LOL

Yesterday morning, she went when she woke up and during breakfast, while in her underpants, she told J “uh, oh, I have to go pee pee’s on the potty”. He got her up, she took her undies off and went on the potty. It was the same all day yesterday. I can’t tell you how proud I am of her and of course humbled. I will never again underestimate her.

We also had a good weekend aside from potty training. J and I went out to dinner Sunday night and to the movies. This is shocking for us, as I typically don’t enjoy movies at the theater. Plus, it’s a huge fiasco for us. But, we went and we saw Premonition. Very good movie – I enjoyed it very much. Then of course, we got home and had clothes in the garage to change into since there is nothing but dairy all over those movie theater seats. I even froze so I could wear my fleece which is much easier to wash then my heavier coat. All our clothes went right into the washing machine. I will say though that I thoroughly enjoyed the movie theater popcorn covered in butter. Mmmmmm…so yummy! And dinner was scrumptious too – we went to Macaroni Grill and we both had dinners covered in cheese – can you tell the theme here? LOL

So overall it was a great weekend at our house. I hope you all had good weekends too!

Oh and we may have a nudist on our hands, as she LOVES being naked. It’s been tough getting her to keep her underpants on now…


posted at 8:40 AM  
  6 comments



6 Comments:
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Christine said...

Wow! Maybe you won't have to hate potty training nearly as much as I do! Give her a big hug from Aunt Christine!

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Jennisa - Avery and Livvie's Mommy! said...

good job! Potty training is so stressful! I wasn't able to be patient enough with mine, so my mother taught Avery...KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Good for Kayla! Jason is proving to be tougher. He pooped on Buzz Lightyear, Pooped on Elmo and Pooped on Lightening McQueen. I think he's not ready yet. Just today in the car I heard him say "Buzz Lighyear Pooped". Not funny :( So we'll try again in a little bit.

 
At 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for Kayla!
That's what we've done with ours. We treated them with M&Ms.I agree boys are tougher. My girls were around 2 1/2 and my son took a little longer somewhere around 3.
That's great news.....keep it up! :)

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

He is going to Preschool in the fall. His teacher told me that she'll work with it. It's the same teacher that Marky had and there were kids in his class that weren't fully potty trained until Christmas. I think they are kind of loose with the potty training. I'm not as freaked as I was with Marky, BUT I'd like him to be potty trained by our vacation in July for sure.

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

You put a post on baby center about flax seed oil. I'm not commenting there because lately some of the tone has gotten hostile when someone disagrees. It is not part of the nut family and safe for nut allergies. Usually for someone Kayla's age they get about 1 tsp. a day, but you may want to confirm with your ped or nutritionist because of her low weight, they may want more. It's so yucky, but if mixed with juice or in a soy fruit smoothie she may not notice. The ground flax seed is the worst. I eat it on yogurt and it is truly an aquired taste and I surely haven't aquired it yet :) Good luck with it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Search


Photobucket
Make your custom magnet at SupportOurRibbons.com
Photobucket
Blogs I Visit
Allergy Moms Blog
Are We There Yet
Big Blueberry Eyes
Check My Tag
Food Allergy FAQ
Fruit In Season (my Sister's blog)
Go Dairy Free
I'm a Drama Mama
Irish Triplets
My Daughters' Site
No Whey Mama
Our Story
Parenting a Child with Food Allergies
Parenting Solved
Pink Explosion
Principled Perspectives (my Father's blog)
Tuesday's Child
Typette

Blogs I've Designed
Fruit In Season
Principled Perspectives

Digi Scrap Blogs
Digi Treats by Pamela
Lindsay Jane Designs
Peppermint Creative
Sworda Scrappin
Tracy's Scraps

Photobucket

Blogrolls
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Family Friendly Blogroll []

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sat Phot Hunt Blogroll []

Recent Posts
Wordless Wednesday - Making Brownies
A Meme About Me...
Saturday Photo Hunt
Why Am I Not Surprised?
Friday's Feast
Yummy!!!
Thursday Thirteen #18
Getting Back Into Our Routine
Wordless Wednesday - The 5 Cousins...
***I had this ready to post yesterday morning as y...

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009

I'm Proud Of
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket

Miscellaneous
Mom Blogs The WeatherPixie
Subscribe with Bloglines

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: