About Me

Name:
Sue

Location:
Southern New Jersey

I am a Mom to 2 amazing and fun daughters and wife to a great guy and a wonderful father!

My Complete Profile

Email Me


Kayla
Kayla, my oldest. She is 4 1/2 and is a sweet, loving and silly little girl. She took us 2 ½ years and 3 IVF’s to conceive. Kayla is allergic to dairy. We manage her allergy and work to balance her safety with giving her a normal childhood. Kayla loves to read books and play games - she amazes me every day.


Alysa
Alysa, my youngest. She is 3 years old and is a silly little spitfire. She’s our monkey and loves to climb on everything. She was a “natural” baby, but it was only b/c of my wonderful doctors that we were able to stop an impending miscarriage. Alysa suffers from Acid Reflux Disease and sleep apnea. She may be little, but she has a big personality. She adores her big sister and is so much fun to be around. She keeps me laughing every day.


Photobucket
Our Daily Reads
Photobucket
On My Nightstand
Photobucket Photobucket
Photos
Mothers Day 2009

Friday, October 02, 2009
Kayla’s Thumb
Kayla has been a thumb sucker since she was 3 months old. As a baby it was great – she was able to comfort herself and she was a great sleeper. But with her allergy it’s always made me very nervous. Although she reacts from dairy contact her worst reactions would come from ingestion. If she ever touched dairy with her thumb and then put it in her mouth before washing her hands it would be very bad.

When Kayla was in feeding therapy I was told by her therapist that when she’s five there is a thumb sucking program in order to get her to stop. I had hoped to avoid this step but alas we were unable to. The older she gets, the more she branches out which means the more dairy she is around without me being glued to her side (which is how it should be). And this means the higher her risk is of coming into contact with dairy and then putting her thumb in her mouth. This makes me increasingly nervous. The other reason of course is the obvious, the longer she sucks her thumb the more money in orthodontic bills we’ll have.

So…I took her Wednesday and her therapist spent time talking to her about thumb sucking. Kayla is now wearing a thumb guard. Technically we’re starting with night only but Kayla was fine having it on her first day and she actually wanted to wear it to school yesterday. Amazingly she can write with it on and she did really well with it. She went to sleep her first night with minimal complaints and slept through the night. She was great in the morning and called her therapist as requested and told her all about her non-thumb-sucking night. Once she goes 10 days without sucking her thumb at night she will get a prize. Her therapist told her she could pick any “big” prize she wanted and Kayla has request a big spider Halloween decoration. Thankfully for me I found this today and Kayla really wants it. Boy did I get off cheap.



posted at 8:00 AM  
  2 comments



2 Comments:
At 10:52 PM, Blogger Blessed said...

Sugar hasn't been much of a thumb sucker, Goose on the other hand... we'll see, but I sure hope he doesn't get too hooked on his thumb!

Good luck to Kayla!

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

wow I'm impressed she can write with that on! Sounds like shes off to a great start!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Search


Photobucket
Make your custom magnet at SupportOurRibbons.com
Photobucket
Blogs I Visit
Allergy Moms Blog
Are We There Yet
Big Blueberry Eyes
Check My Tag
Food Allergy FAQ
Fruit In Season (my Sister's blog)
Go Dairy Free
I'm a Drama Mama
Irish Triplets
My Daughters' Site
No Whey Mama
Our Story
Parenting a Child with Food Allergies
Parenting Solved
Pink Explosion
Principled Perspectives (my Father's blog)
Tuesday's Child
Typette

Blogs I've Designed
Fruit In Season
Principled Perspectives

Digi Scrap Blogs
Digi Treats by Pamela
Lindsay Jane Designs
Peppermint Creative
Sworda Scrappin
Tracy's Scraps

Photobucket

Blogrolls
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Family Friendly Blogroll []

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sat Phot Hunt Blogroll []

Recent Posts
Back to School Night
My reader
She's a hoot
First day of school - FINALLY!
DC Trip
My jump into activism
Ringing Rock Park
When honesty stinks
Welcome Fall
Daddy’s Girl

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009

I'm Proud Of
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket

Miscellaneous
Mom Blogs The WeatherPixie
Subscribe with Bloglines

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: