About Me

Name:
Sue

Location:
Southern New Jersey

I am a Mom to 2 amazing and fun daughters and wife to a great guy and a wonderful father!

My Complete Profile

Email Me


Kayla
Kayla, my oldest. She is 4 1/2 and is a sweet, loving and silly little girl. She took us 2 ½ years and 3 IVF’s to conceive. Kayla is allergic to dairy. We manage her allergy and work to balance her safety with giving her a normal childhood. Kayla loves to read books and play games - she amazes me every day.


Alysa
Alysa, my youngest. She is 3 years old and is a silly little spitfire. She’s our monkey and loves to climb on everything. She was a “natural” baby, but it was only b/c of my wonderful doctors that we were able to stop an impending miscarriage. Alysa suffers from Acid Reflux Disease and sleep apnea. She may be little, but she has a big personality. She adores her big sister and is so much fun to be around. She keeps me laughing every day.


Photobucket
Our Daily Reads
Photobucket
On My Nightstand
Photobucket Photobucket
Photos
Mothers Day 2009

Tuesday, May 12, 2009
FAAW #2 - What I am up to this week
Food Allergies, for obvious reasons, are very near and dear to my heart. Over the time since Kayla’s diagnosis, I have seen it all. I have gotten into fights and confrontations. I have seen how ugly people can be towards a child. But more importantly, I have seen the amazing amount of compassion and understanding that adults are capable of. But most importantly, I have seen the compassion and understanding come from children. I have seen how Kayla’s peers (family and friends alike) just want to keep her safe and included. It is these acts of kindness that keep us going and keep our fight to give Kayla a normal life (with parties, playdates, etc) going strong. I have also gotten so many questions from family, friends and strangers on food allergies. I love questions. It opens up a dialogue so I can educate. Education is the key to growing awareness and understanding. One question I have gotten from my Father is whether or not the rise in food allergies can be attributed more to better diagnosis and tracking rather than a true increase. I can see his point. If food allergies were vastly unknown 30+ years ago, then how can you track it properly? I can not necessarily accurately speak for the tracking and reporting of food allergies, but I can speak from my own personal experiences.

I have an excellent memory. I have memories to be age 3 and can picture the outside and inside of my Montessori preschool classroom. I’d love to see it in person to see how accurate my recollection is. But I digress. Growing up I did not have any friends with food allergies or even dietary restrictions. Food allergies were never a topic or an issue in my circle of friends or in the schools I attended. In my circle of friends, families and acquaintences, Kayla was the first child diagnosed with a food allergy. She was diagnosed 4 years ago. Since her diagnosis, excluding those I have met through her allergy (like in my support group), seven, I repeat seven kids in our circle (including family and friends) have been diagnosed with food allergies. Kayla would make eight! So yes, food allergies are definitely on the rise!

So this week, in honor of FAAW, I have helped Kayla’s allergist distribute flyers with some basic facts on food allergies as well as how to deal with a reaction. Kayla preschool distributed copies of the flyer to every student. I contacted and sent the flyer to the nurse at Kayla’s future public school. From the response I got from her at that time, I got the feeling it would not be distributed. That feeling has been validated by the repeated unreturned messages I have left for her since then. I can tell that Kayla’s public school experience will be a nightmare for me. But luckily her allergist has gotten it distributed to other local public schools and my Mom was able to get it distributed either by mail or electronically at the school where she works.

I will also be sending in a couple of our food allergy children’s books to school with Kayla this week for her teacher to share with the class. I may also give her our CD of food allergy songs.

Friday, I will be joining members of our support group on a trip to New York City. We will be meeting up at the train station for the 3:53am train to the City. We will all be decked out in t-shirts sporting the name of our support group and head to the outside of the Today Show in the hopes of getting noticed to bring some attention to food allergies. Apparently, not too long ago a group did this for Autism and got some air time. J is joining me for this trip, although I hope he doesn’t change his mind when he sees the time the train departs. So please cross your fingers that we at least get shown on TV. And if you watch the Today Show – look for me with.


posted at 9:30 PM  
  1 comments



1 Comments:
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Nowheymama said...

Cool! I don't watch the Today show, but I'll look for you on Friday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Search


Photobucket
Make your custom magnet at SupportOurRibbons.com
Photobucket
Blogs I Visit
Allergy Moms Blog
Are We There Yet
Big Blueberry Eyes
Check My Tag
Food Allergy FAQ
Fruit In Season (my Sister's blog)
Go Dairy Free
I'm a Drama Mama
Irish Triplets
My Daughters' Site
No Whey Mama
Our Story
Parenting a Child with Food Allergies
Parenting Solved
Pink Explosion
Principled Perspectives (my Father's blog)
Tuesday's Child
Typette

Blogs I've Designed
Fruit In Season
Principled Perspectives

Digi Scrap Blogs
Digi Treats by Pamela
Lindsay Jane Designs
Peppermint Creative
Sworda Scrappin
Tracy's Scraps

Photobucket

Blogrolls
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Family Friendly Blogroll []

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sat Phot Hunt Blogroll []

Recent Posts
Food Allergy Awareness Week (FAAW)
Happy Mother's Day
What my kids think of me...
Special Agent Oso
FAAN Conference - FINALLY!
She had a rough weekend
My worst nightmare
And so it begins
Things I'm grateful for...
Easter Bunny Train

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009

I'm Proud Of
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket

Miscellaneous
Mom Blogs The WeatherPixie
Subscribe with Bloglines

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: