About Me

Name:
Sue

Location:
Southern New Jersey

I am a Mom to 2 amazing and fun daughters and wife to a great guy and a wonderful father!

My Complete Profile

Email Me


Kayla
Kayla, my oldest. She is 4 1/2 and is a sweet, loving and silly little girl. She took us 2 ½ years and 3 IVF’s to conceive. Kayla is allergic to dairy. We manage her allergy and work to balance her safety with giving her a normal childhood. Kayla loves to read books and play games - she amazes me every day.


Alysa
Alysa, my youngest. She is 3 years old and is a silly little spitfire. She’s our monkey and loves to climb on everything. She was a “natural” baby, but it was only b/c of my wonderful doctors that we were able to stop an impending miscarriage. Alysa suffers from Acid Reflux Disease and sleep apnea. She may be little, but she has a big personality. She adores her big sister and is so much fun to be around. She keeps me laughing every day.


Photobucket
Our Daily Reads
Photobucket
On My Nightstand
Photobucket Photobucket
Photos
Mothers Day 2009

Tuesday, June 10, 2008
Crushed by the Heat
I am not one for extreme temperatures. I do not do well in the bitter cold and I can’t stand to be out when it’s really hot and humid. So imagine my enjoyable weekend with it being in the 90’s Saturday and Sunday and hitting 100 yesterday. This could all have been tolerable, had I been INSIDE! Saturday, the store J manages had their open house. And his boss goes all out with food (which of course we could not eat) and face painting, balloon animals and pony rides, as well as other animals to pet and play with. I figured we’d drive there, ride a pony, pet some animals and leave. Nope – two hours later…miserably hot with two very cranky children who did not want to do much anymore, but did not want to leave, we left. Their favorite part was the pony rides and the baby chickens. Kayla even got her face painted (she never would have done that last summer). Alysa, after seeing Kayla’s butterfly face, wanted hers done. By the time it came to be her turn, she was DONE! So she did not get painted and we prepared to leave, but…not without one more pony ride. It was good for us to go – we finally all got to see J’s store and meet his boss and coworkers. The girls were beside themselves with excitement to go to Daddy’s work. He was the proud Daddy showing off his girls. It was a sad car ride home with Kayla telling me and my Mom (she came to see the pony rides) that she is “really going to miss Daddy”.

Later that afternoon, my Mom stayed and I went up to a gathering at a friend’s house. It was a lot of fun, but I paid for it on Sunday. It’s an hour away and since I hadn’t slept much the few days prior (due to the school saga), I was wiped. Getting home at 1:30am when you’re already exhausted doesn’t do the body good. Yesterday, I took off from work so we could take the girls strawberry picking. Fun you say? Of course, except it didn’t have to be a 100 degree day! It was brutal, but at least the farm was empty. We spent $27 on strawberries and cherries. We have a lot to eat. Yesterday afternoon, the girls would not hear about staying inside. They frolicked in the kiddie pool while J worked on getting the big pool ready (oh, why couldn’t it have been ready for the weekend…) and I sat miserably in the heat watching the girls enjoy themselves. Oh to be young again and not be bothered by the heat…

In the school saga – I have decided to go directly to the owner. I debated and agonized over this and came to the conclusion that regardless, she needs to know. It is equivalent to going to the Super Intendant in a public school. I know that no matter what way I go, I risk the situation getting worse. There are other reasons I don’t think going to the Director again will go well. Last summer, I scheduled a meeting with her and Kayla’s teacher to go over her care – the Director was too “busy” to meet with us, so I only went over it all with her teacher. In September, the Director asked me for permission to speak to her doctor. I was fine with this (and gave both her doctors permission to speak to her about Kayla) because the more information they have the better equipped they will be. But I got the impression from her tone, it was more for her to see if I was exaggerating Kayla’s situation. She never did call either her allergist or pediatrician. In early May, I left a message with the secretary there for the Director to call me and I was clear that I wanted to have our allergist come in to the school (free of charge) to meet with the teachers and staff to go over food allergies. He does this and is a real advocate for children with food allergies. I told her that it would be a good refresher and some good new info since the world of food allergies are changing. Fewer kids are outgrowing milk and egg allergies, so they will be seeing more of those allergies in their school in the coming years. The Director never called me. They are all fairly “minor”, but put together they show a pattern of disregard for the severity of food allergies. I have drafted a letter to the owner which I will get to her tomorrow. I have also scheduled a meeting with her for next Wednesday (June 18th).

In light of all of this, I decided I wanted to show my appreciation (aside from just saying thank you) to Kayla’s teacher and aid. So I gave them each a little Longaberger pottery bowl filled with freshly picked strawberries and a thank you note. Without them, Kayla would not have been as safe as she was this past school year.

I hope everyone else who has been in this stifling heat stayed cool over the weekend. I know I’m still paying for not staying inside more.

*Note - I will be posting pictures later on this evening.*


posted at 12:10 PM  
  4 comments



4 Comments:
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I can't stand the heat either; we've had 100+ degree weather since the end of May...and it's not even officially summer yet - I think this is going to be a long summer!

I think you're doing the right thing about going to the owner and letting her know about the behavior and attitude of the director; it doesn't sound like she's taking it seriously at all.

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger Typette said...

Ugh!!! The HEAT!!!!!! Luckily tomorrow it's supposed to be in the 70's and not humid! The house temp finally fell to about 74 degress yesterday -- but it's still not as cool as it should be -- we will wait until a cooler day to check out the AC.

It was fun on Saturday night -- but just like you -- we totally paid for it. We are still very tired and trying to get into a normal sleeping pattern. Man -- how we age so quickly!

Strawberry picking sounds like soooo much fun!!! I don't know if I could have tolerated the heat anymore -- but I would've tried. LOL

At the end of all this, I hope to have sweated off a few good pounds LOL....

 
At 6:51 AM, Blogger Donna said...

Sounds like a good plan with the school. I hope the discussions are positive and you leave with a good secure feeling for next year. I am such a freak and actually enjoy the heat of the summer although this weekend was a little much even for me.

 
At 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We live in Texas where it stays high 90's-105 (or more) 3-4 months out of the year and I HATE IT!!! UGGHHHH!

Glad you guys had a nice weekend though, Claire loves seeing daddies work so we totally relate.

Also very glad to hear you are going to the owner. After all the things you have mentioned that have happened over time, I would have to say that the latest saga would have been my final straw.

Good luck.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Search


Photobucket
Make your custom magnet at SupportOurRibbons.com
Photobucket
Blogs I Visit
Allergy Moms Blog
Are We There Yet
Big Blueberry Eyes
Check My Tag
Food Allergy FAQ
Fruit In Season (my Sister's blog)
Go Dairy Free
I'm a Drama Mama
Irish Triplets
My Daughters' Site
No Whey Mama
Our Story
Parenting a Child with Food Allergies
Parenting Solved
Pink Explosion
Principled Perspectives (my Father's blog)
Tuesday's Child
Typette

Blogs I've Designed
Fruit In Season
Principled Perspectives

Digi Scrap Blogs
Digi Treats by Pamela
Lindsay Jane Designs
Peppermint Creative
Sworda Scrappin
Tracy's Scraps

Photobucket

Blogrolls
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Family Friendly Blogroll []

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sat Phot Hunt Blogroll []

Recent Posts
Glad it’s Over
Oh the Independence
One day down
Another reason to love Kayla's school
It's 9:45 pm...
A mini scare
The National Zoo
We're back in business
Delicious Muffins
My newest Polly Pocket collector

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009

I'm Proud Of
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket

Miscellaneous
Mom Blogs The WeatherPixie
Subscribe with Bloglines

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: