About Me

Name:
Sue

Location:
Southern New Jersey

I am a Mom to 2 amazing and fun daughters and wife to a great guy and a wonderful father!

My Complete Profile

Email Me


Kayla
Kayla, my oldest. She is 4 1/2 and is a sweet, loving and silly little girl. She took us 2 ½ years and 3 IVF’s to conceive. Kayla is allergic to dairy. We manage her allergy and work to balance her safety with giving her a normal childhood. Kayla loves to read books and play games - she amazes me every day.


Alysa
Alysa, my youngest. She is 3 years old and is a silly little spitfire. She’s our monkey and loves to climb on everything. She was a “natural” baby, but it was only b/c of my wonderful doctors that we were able to stop an impending miscarriage. Alysa suffers from Acid Reflux Disease and sleep apnea. She may be little, but she has a big personality. She adores her big sister and is so much fun to be around. She keeps me laughing every day.


Photobucket
Our Daily Reads
Photobucket
On My Nightstand
Photobucket Photobucket
Photos
Mothers Day 2009

Sunday, April 29, 2007
Marriage Monday

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



This week's Marriage Monday topic is Families of Origin. Christine has posed these questions.

Jerome and I are both fortunate to come from families where our parents are still married. That being said - our families are so very different. He was raised in a religious household where I was not. His family had quiet meals, where mine were loud and boisterous - even during pleasant conversations.

I have definitely seen the differences in the family dynamics that we came from in our relationship. Any communication barriers we have come up against stems from our upbringings. My family fought - we were loud, we'd yell, we'd talk, we'd disagree, we'd have discussions. We were "allowed" to fight - it was not the end of the world. We'd make up, talk about it if need be and move on. J was brought up to avoid conflict. Conflict was not dealt with - it was ignored or swept under the rug. So needless to say, this has caused friction with us. But both of us have learned to adapt. I have learned to let certain things go. J has learned that you can disagree and even argue without it being the end of the world.

Both my parents and J's parents live near each other. We are about an hour from both sides. This means we can see both sides on holidays, but it can also mean more crazy splitting of time on holidays. We have a good relationship with my parents and J's. We are closer to my side, but I believe that stems from the type of relationships we have with my parents and his. As well as priorities within our respective families.

I would not say that either of us had difficulty separating from our families. I was already living on my own and although J was still living with his parents, he adjusted find to leaving the nest.

Our first year of marriage was pretty hectic. We immediately started looking to buy a house, so we had all that went along with that and we started trying to conceive. But although it was somewhat hectic, it was exciting and good. We were able to settle into our new home and enjoy each other.

I would say that our families influece our relationship more in the type of people that our upbringings have made us. Family is important to us, so we make a point to include our families in our lives and the lives of our children, as well as family activities and outings. My family tends to take us up on joining in on these things more than his do. But we also work to maintain our own family time. There are times that we wiill keep things just the 4 of us.

It can be tough to maintain a balance. Holidays can be the hardest. We want to make our own family traditions and make sure we get time with our girls, but also keep up with the notion that holidays are about being with family outside your little nucleus. We have had friction with siblings on J's side. And due to this friction and due to the importance J and I place on our family unit, we have had to make some tough choices in relation to them. These choices, as hard as they may be, were about protecting our children.

J and I both agree that our family comes first. We fully believe in the importance of family - the whole family, but when it comes down to it - our relationship and our children come first. We both have taken the good and bad from each of our upbringings and have used it to come up with the values we want our daughters raised with. We emphasize what is most important to us. We want our daughters to grow up knowing that our family was put first, but also knowing that their Grandparents, Aunt and Uncles and their Cousins are a big part of their life. I hope that they will be able to take the values that J and I instill in them and apply them to their own familes someday so that their family life works best for them and their spouse and children.



posted at 9:08 PM  
  1 comments



1 Comments:
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Christine said...

Joining 2 families is rarely easy, so I'm told. You guys have done a great job! Thanks for helping on my blog!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Search


Photobucket
Make your custom magnet at SupportOurRibbons.com
Photobucket
Blogs I Visit
Allergy Moms Blog
Are We There Yet
Big Blueberry Eyes
Check My Tag
Food Allergy FAQ
Fruit In Season (my Sister's blog)
Go Dairy Free
I'm a Drama Mama
Irish Triplets
My Daughters' Site
No Whey Mama
Our Story
Parenting a Child with Food Allergies
Parenting Solved
Pink Explosion
Principled Perspectives (my Father's blog)
Tuesday's Child
Typette

Blogs I've Designed
Fruit In Season
Principled Perspectives

Digi Scrap Blogs
Digi Treats by Pamela
Lindsay Jane Designs
Peppermint Creative
Sworda Scrappin
Tracy's Scraps

Photobucket

Blogrolls
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Family Friendly Blogroll []

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sat Phot Hunt Blogroll []

Recent Posts
Mommy Talk
Weekend
Ready for a Scavenger Hunt?
Saturday Photo Hunt
Say What?!?
Thursdsay Thirteen #22
Busy Week
Wordless Wednesday
Mommy Talk
An Exhausting 10 Minutes

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009

I'm Proud Of
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket

Miscellaneous
Mom Blogs The WeatherPixie
Subscribe with Bloglines

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: