About Me

Name:
Sue

Location:
Southern New Jersey

I am a Mom to 2 amazing and fun daughters and wife to a great guy and a wonderful father!

My Complete Profile

Email Me


Kayla
Kayla, my oldest. She is 4 1/2 and is a sweet, loving and silly little girl. She took us 2 ½ years and 3 IVF’s to conceive. Kayla is allergic to dairy. We manage her allergy and work to balance her safety with giving her a normal childhood. Kayla loves to read books and play games - she amazes me every day.


Alysa
Alysa, my youngest. She is 3 years old and is a silly little spitfire. She’s our monkey and loves to climb on everything. She was a “natural” baby, but it was only b/c of my wonderful doctors that we were able to stop an impending miscarriage. Alysa suffers from Acid Reflux Disease and sleep apnea. She may be little, but she has a big personality. She adores her big sister and is so much fun to be around. She keeps me laughing every day.


Photobucket
Our Daily Reads
Photobucket
On My Nightstand
Photobucket Photobucket
Photos
Mothers Day 2009

Sunday, September 21, 2008
Birthday Party Bliss
Today the girls had another birthday party. This party was for Kayla's best friend. We've been seeing Emma and her family pretty often and they've been wonderful with regards to Kayla. They both have been very conscious of Kayla and have inquired quite a bit as to how to keep the party safe for Kayla. Their menu consisted of some snacks - nuts, tostitos, pretzels, veggies and dip and then fajitas. I knew the fajitas would include shredded cheese. But for the dip Jen had asked me for a safe dip and since they were willing to go out of their way, I offered to supply the dip since it can be a pain to find the safe sour "cream" and it's always pricier. So I brought the dip and pretzels for the party. Then a few days ago, they even asked for a fake cheese substitute. The question blew me away and of course I told them they are available, but I would never ask them to serve it to their friends. I know some kids like it, but Kayla does not and neither to J or I. Plus it doesn't melt. ;)

So at the party today, they blew my socks off when I went in the house to eat (J and I eat in shifts at parties) to find out that they decided to forgo the cheese. Jeff had also gone over all the other food when we got there and without the cheese, it meant it was a completely dairy-free birthday party (OK - until you got to cake time). I almost wanted to cry. This was the first time anyone (outside of family) has made a party dairy-free for Kayla. She was so excited to have everything be safe for her (even if she'd never touch a fajita). J and I did not have to eat in shifts and the party was even downright, dare I say...enjoyable? Relaxing even. And my fellow Allergy Moms and Dads know the last word we would use to describe a birthday party is relaxing. This day meant so much to J and I, especially coming on the heals of last weekend's disaster. I just hope that I was able to adequately convey my gratitude.

This relaxing and fun environment (along with their very nice and friendly friends) made it even more sad that we had to leave the party early. Usually food (cake, etc) pushes us out of parties early, but today it was for a much sadder reason. My Great Uncle died on the 18th and we were attending the viewing that was an hour away. So we had to leave the party earlier than we wanted to, but at least the girls got to play some games and be there for the pinata. Kayla of course was upset to leave, but what kids wants to leave a party. And on the way home she told me she had felt safe there. That's all I need to hear to know that these new friends of ours are keepers.



As for their sleep-over? I was the sleep-over that never went. At 9:30 when the running around and slamming of doors would not stop, I went upstairs to find all their pillows and dolls and books in Alysa's room. They wanted to sleep in there. But since she's still in a toddler bed, that would not happen. Then Alysa said she wanted to sleep in her room. I think they were both exhausted, but did not know how to wind down. So maybe another night...


posted at 9:10 PM  
  10 comments



10 Comments:
At 12:07 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

What a wonderful post to read! How considerate of this family to plan their menu around what would be safe for Kayla! It sounds like this is the beginning of a life-long friendship!

 
At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's great that they were willing to do that!

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

SOOO glad that things went well this weekend! What great friends to have :)

 
At 9:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How considerate of them! What a blessing that you all have crossed paths and the girls are able to be friends.

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Blessed said...

isn't it awesome to have friends like that - both for you and the girls!

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger All my love, Carmen said...

So cool that they decided to make it safe for her! I am having birthday drama right now too, maybe it is the season for it? Those friends are definitely keepers! :)

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

It's was really thoughtful of Emma's parents to do that for Kayla. This
is a true friend.

Everyone had a great time and it was safe and healthy for all.

It is these types of stories that I will soon be inviting parents to
share on my website Dora The Explorer Adventures.

 
At 3:38 AM, Blogger Dee said...

very interesting, I had never thought of allergies to food and how it would affect someone at a birthday party. What wonderful friends.

 
At 5:52 AM, Blogger Donna said...

I loved the pictures from the party and apple picking. The girls looked so happy and were having such fun. We just apple picked too and it was a blast...

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

How thoughtful of this family to not only make sure all was safe for Kayla, but that you and J could relax. Glad you were able to enjoy yourself.

After reading about the party last weekend, I was surprised that that father had that reaction. Totally blew me away, when all you were doing was to make sure your child was safe. Which is something we all want as parents, special need or not, isn't too much to ask in the least.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Search


Photobucket
Make your custom magnet at SupportOurRibbons.com
Photobucket
Blogs I Visit
Allergy Moms Blog
Are We There Yet
Big Blueberry Eyes
Check My Tag
Food Allergy FAQ
Fruit In Season (my Sister's blog)
Go Dairy Free
I'm a Drama Mama
Irish Triplets
My Daughters' Site
No Whey Mama
Our Story
Parenting a Child with Food Allergies
Parenting Solved
Pink Explosion
Principled Perspectives (my Father's blog)
Tuesday's Child
Typette

Blogs I've Designed
Fruit In Season
Principled Perspectives

Digi Scrap Blogs
Digi Treats by Pamela
Lindsay Jane Designs
Peppermint Creative
Sworda Scrappin
Tracy's Scraps

Photobucket

Blogrolls
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Family Friendly Blogroll []

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sat Phot Hunt Blogroll []

Recent Posts
It seemed like a good idea
Onward & Upward
Kayla has a Best Friend
Birthday Party - *Warning-Major Rant*
Gotta love Enjoy Life Foods
We interrupt this family-friendly blog…
Just to show that nothing is safe
OMT
A successful day back
My Guest Post

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009

I'm Proud Of
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket

Miscellaneous
Mom Blogs The WeatherPixie
Subscribe with Bloglines

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: