About Me

Name:
Sue

Location:
Southern New Jersey

I am a Mom to 2 amazing and fun daughters and wife to a great guy and a wonderful father!

My Complete Profile

Email Me


Kayla
Kayla, my oldest. She is 4 1/2 and is a sweet, loving and silly little girl. She took us 2 ½ years and 3 IVF’s to conceive. Kayla is allergic to dairy. We manage her allergy and work to balance her safety with giving her a normal childhood. Kayla loves to read books and play games - she amazes me every day.


Alysa
Alysa, my youngest. She is 3 years old and is a silly little spitfire. She’s our monkey and loves to climb on everything. She was a “natural” baby, but it was only b/c of my wonderful doctors that we were able to stop an impending miscarriage. Alysa suffers from Acid Reflux Disease and sleep apnea. She may be little, but she has a big personality. She adores her big sister and is so much fun to be around. She keeps me laughing every day.


Photobucket
Our Daily Reads
Photobucket
On My Nightstand
Photobucket Photobucket
Photos
Mothers Day 2009

Friday, February 29, 2008
Nutritionist Update
If you remember me mentioning here about the possibility of seeing a Nutritionist who is based in Maryland. I had decided to make the appointment since it takes 6-8 weeks to get in. That would give me time to do some more research and gather information and then change my mind if I wanted. Well, the best laid plans...I got a call on Tuesday that they had a cancellation. On Thursday. As in February 28, 2008. So that was unexpected, but in the end it was a really good thing.

Alysa's feeding therapist was involved so we had my information and hers. I was very impressed with the Nutritionist. My biggest concern was the dairy thing. Not everyone is understanding as to the reasons why I keep Alysa off dairy. But she was very understanding, knowledgeable and open to the whole allergy thing. She never once tried to get me to give Alysa anything dairy – either on purpose or out of sheer stupidity. And everything she suggested was just that – a suggestion. She never pushed for anything and made sure I wanted more information from her b4 she suggested something else. I never felt pressured to sign away my life savings. Everything was based on what I was comfortable with doing.

Her feeling is that Alysa has something irritating her insides causing her reflux. With the allergies in the family and her Environmental Allergies she thinks it’s a food bothering her. Her thinking based on her diet - which is mainly made up of soy and wheat - is that we’re looking at a soy or gluten intolerance. Yay! She suggested retesting her for food allergies since her last tests were done at 1 year of age. Since allergy testing is so unpredictable at that young age and I’m OK with that. Sometimes it's better safe than sorry. She also suggested an IgG test for intolerances. She said there’s a lab in Atlanta that sends a kit with how to prick their finger then you send it to them and they test for 30 foods.

She wants her off soy. But thankfully she means the main sources of soy – soy milk and soy yogurt. It didn’t click until dinner that we use soy butter. Yikes! So I'll be checking into Earth Balance’s other vegan substitutes. Thankfully, she is not concerned with the soy in breads, crackers, etc. What a relief that was – as it was my biggest fear about soy. I’d have to throw out every ounce of food in my house.

She also wants to change her vitamin. She and the therapist want her off fluoride vitamins – not sure on that one yet… but again, she is not pushing. Her therapist gave me some articles about how fluoride is bad for you – when aren’t there these kinds of studies? So I still have some checking to do there. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with eliminating the fluoride yet.

I’m going to put her on a fish oil supplement which helps with sensory development and sooths the sensory nerves. It will help in her eating since she’s learned foods are bad and make her miserable.

I’m also putting her on a probiotic (this was my suggestion) and she gave me some good ones to try.

The drink she wants me to give her is this recipe (per day):
14oz rice milk
2oz coconut milk (already checked with her allergist that he is fine with us doing this as it’s more a palm seed than a tree nut)
1tbsp of some rice protein powder mix (I have to buy this)

There is one other supplement that helps to heal the esophagus lining, but she is waiting to see if the other things help her reflux before we add this.

Her follow up is scheduled for April 18th.

I then spoke to her allergist and he agreed that the retesting is a good idea. He is testing her for the allergies by blood and he’s adding in a celiac screening since we’re looking into intolerances. His opinion is to keep her on the fluoride. He also suggested to find out what is in the vitamins and how much, then call her Ped’s office to make sure it makes sense for her.

We didn’t get to talk too much about Kayla, except in relation to family history. So I’m hoping as time goes by I can work her in. I can’t work to get Alysa off Prevacid w/o getting Kayla off. But she was also impressive that she agreed no probiotic with lactose. Not everyone realizes that can be an issue. She gave me suggestions of things that are all dairy-free so I can use them with Kayla too. This is the main reason I'm so open to these changes.

I picked up the coconut milk today - $1.79 for 13.5 ounces and at 2oz a day you'd think - OK, not too bad since it will last almost 7 days. But...it has to be used within 4 days. Just my luck, right? And then I shelled out $40 for the fish oil supplement. Thankfully that is a 90 day supply. And it's kid friendly both in dosing and taste.

So wish us luck on our new path. Hopefully we're headed towards one reflux-free child.


posted at 10:00 AM  
  2 comments



2 Comments:
At 12:14 PM, Blogger With His Grace said...

I am so glad that everything went so well! Please keep us posted on the progress and if you see any noticable changes in the next few weeks.

I am thrilled that you found a good tasting fish oil, please do share with us the brand. I take a fish oil and gag everytime!

 
At 12:10 AM, Blogger Blessed said...

Good luck with the changes!

Just a note on the fluoride - my husband is allergic to it. We have to use non-fluoride toothpaste in this house, fortunately the fluoride in the water is dilute enough to not cause him major problems.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Search


Photobucket
Make your custom magnet at SupportOurRibbons.com
Photobucket
Blogs I Visit
Allergy Moms Blog
Are We There Yet
Big Blueberry Eyes
Check My Tag
Food Allergy FAQ
Fruit In Season (my Sister's blog)
Go Dairy Free
I'm a Drama Mama
Irish Triplets
My Daughters' Site
No Whey Mama
Our Story
Parenting a Child with Food Allergies
Parenting Solved
Pink Explosion
Principled Perspectives (my Father's blog)
Tuesday's Child
Typette

Blogs I've Designed
Fruit In Season
Principled Perspectives

Digi Scrap Blogs
Digi Treats by Pamela
Lindsay Jane Designs
Peppermint Creative
Sworda Scrappin
Tracy's Scraps

Photobucket

Blogrolls
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Family Friendly Blogroll []

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sat Phot Hunt Blogroll []

Recent Posts
A Good Start to the Day
Wordless Wednesday - Mother/Daugher Edition
It’s the Little Things
The Latest News from our House
Pssst...A Contest
I Spoke Too Soon
Words from the Sick
Happy Valentine's Day
Martha's Big Idea Winner
Alysa's GI Update

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009

I'm Proud Of
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket

Miscellaneous
Mom Blogs The WeatherPixie
Subscribe with Bloglines

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: