About Me

Name:
Sue

Location:
Southern New Jersey

I am a Mom to 2 amazing and fun daughters and wife to a great guy and a wonderful father!

My Complete Profile

Email Me


Kayla
Kayla, my oldest. She is 4 1/2 and is a sweet, loving and silly little girl. She took us 2 ½ years and 3 IVF’s to conceive. Kayla is allergic to dairy. We manage her allergy and work to balance her safety with giving her a normal childhood. Kayla loves to read books and play games - she amazes me every day.


Alysa
Alysa, my youngest. She is 3 years old and is a silly little spitfire. She’s our monkey and loves to climb on everything. She was a “natural” baby, but it was only b/c of my wonderful doctors that we were able to stop an impending miscarriage. Alysa suffers from Acid Reflux Disease and sleep apnea. She may be little, but she has a big personality. She adores her big sister and is so much fun to be around. She keeps me laughing every day.


Photobucket
Our Daily Reads
Photobucket
On My Nightstand
Photobucket Photobucket
Photos
Mothers Day 2009

Thursday, February 07, 2008
Food Allergy Support Group
Did I really post 3 days ago? Boy, was it a looong 3 days. No reason in particular - just very busy. Aside from working Monday and Tuesday, Monday Kayla had gymnastics, Tuesday night I was just in a bad mood, Wednesday, I worked in the am for 3 hours (it was a hectic week at work too) and Wednesday afternoon I had a doctor's appointment, then the allergy meeting at night. Today, Alysa had gymnastics, then I got Kayla from school, lunch and nap/rest (I worked while they were napping), then was Alysa's feeding therapy, home for dinner and then back out for the dentist - yes, only me and the 2 girls. Ever have your teeth cleaned while being used as a jungle gym? It's a pleasure. But, Kayla's making progress - she actually walked back to the room, sat in the chair (twice), went up and down on it and almost let her clean 1 tooth. Oh and she let her count them - she has 20. Alysa? She has 4, or that's at least all she'd let be counted.

So...the very first of the food allergy support group meetings was last night. It went very well. Considering it was the first ever, the turnout of 13 people (or more accurately, 13 families) was excellent. It was scheduled to last 1 hour and I left at 9:30. But hey, try getting a group of 13 women in a room who all deal with the same issues and see if you can shut them up. The doc who started it (my girls' allergist) acts as a fascilitator and helps with some doctor-info, but even he said his goal is to give us a chance to share ideas and heart-ache and "B*tch and Moan" if needed. My hope, aside from being around people who understand, is to possibly get some safe play groups together. Most of the women have children 3 and under which is perfect. I'd love a place to go or people to have over who understand completely and we can work to make it safe for all who are there.

I'm really looking forward to future meetings and I hope it grows (there is no group in South Jersey. He is currently working to get us listed with the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America.

Each month he is planning on covering a topic - next month will be outgrowing food allergies. He also is putting together a recipe swap - I volunteered to bring in a recipe and food. I'm opting for rice pudding and believe I can make it free of the Top 8 allergens (milk, eggs, wheat, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shell fish and soy). It's a big hit in my house, but I usually make it with soy milk - so for this venture I'll make it with rice milk - not sure how it will turn out. Maybe I'll make a batch of both? That's a thought...

Did I mention I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed this week? Making two recipes should help that...


posted at 8:43 PM  
  1 comments



1 Comments:
At 1:18 PM, Blogger With His Grace said...

I have a friend whose daughters were diagnosed with food allergies and there isn't a good support network around here, I sent her to you and Janeen. Thanks for sharing this!

I am feeling very overwhelmed as well.....it seems like Claire is as well, sometimes I feel we have too many activities but how do you choose what to get rid of?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Search


Photobucket
Make your custom magnet at SupportOurRibbons.com
Photobucket
Blogs I Visit
Allergy Moms Blog
Are We There Yet
Big Blueberry Eyes
Check My Tag
Food Allergy FAQ
Fruit In Season (my Sister's blog)
Go Dairy Free
I'm a Drama Mama
Irish Triplets
My Daughters' Site
No Whey Mama
Our Story
Parenting a Child with Food Allergies
Parenting Solved
Pink Explosion
Principled Perspectives (my Father's blog)
Tuesday's Child
Typette

Blogs I've Designed
Fruit In Season
Principled Perspectives

Digi Scrap Blogs
Digi Treats by Pamela
Lindsay Jane Designs
Peppermint Creative
Sworda Scrappin
Tracy's Scraps

Photobucket

Blogrolls
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Family Friendly Blogroll []

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sat Phot Hunt Blogroll []

Recent Posts
My Little Smart Alec
Martha Stewart's Food Allergy Idea
My New Home Away from Home
Daughters for Modesty
Conversations from Our Home
Another Successful Party
Another One of Those Weeks
Blogging Fun
Gymnastics Recital
Insanity Setting In

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009

I'm Proud Of
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket

Miscellaneous
Mom Blogs The WeatherPixie
Subscribe with Bloglines

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: